Cotopaxi Express: Acclimatization Hike in the Illinizas

Posted by: Casey Grom | December 14, 2011
Categories: *Expedition Dispatches *Ecuador

Hello everybody back home, this is Casey Grom checking in from the Cotopaxi Express Ascent.  Today we left the busy city of Quito and traded in for a little rustic countryside visit. We did a short acclimatization hike on the Illinizas where we reached just over 15,500’. Everybody did fantastic and we even got to use our gore-tex jackets with fresh snow falling on us today.  We have since descended and have retreated to the Hacienda Chilcabamba where we have just finished a delicious meal and great conversation. Everyone seems to be doing really well and everyone’s relaxing right now inside.  We are looking forward to some clear skies tomorrow and a nice view of Cotopaxi.

That’s all for now and we will check in again tomorrow.

RMI Guide Casey Grom

Sign post located in Ecuador. Cotopaxi (19,438')  Photo: Ian Patrick

RMI Guide Casey Grom checks in from Ecuador.

Sign Up For Ecuador 2011 Email Alerts

Comments

Great job guys! I wish I were there to celebrate with you. It was great to meet all the guys on the climb & Casey & Adam.

Posted by: Rejan on 12/16/2011 at 8:25 am

GO BILLY!!!  So proud of you!  We will be praying for you and your team that you all may have a SAFE expedition!!!

Posted by: The Terry's on 12/16/2011 at 8:19 am

Amaazing climb! Billy, so proud of you & happy for you to complete this goal. Continue to be safe. Conrats to the entire team!
Diana & Howard

Posted by: Diana Weaver on 12/16/2011 at 5:38 am

I have just watched the team climb and reach the Summit. I am so impressed with the work and drive that took and proud of you, Billy. I know you will all continue to be safe on the way down and will never forget that experience. I know I won’t and I have just been watching from my family room. Congrats to all of you!

Posted by: Sue Campbell on 12/16/2011 at 4:30 am

Friday… is the big day!!!!!! Everyone will reach the summit of Cotopaxi’ mountain !!! Good luck to everyone!!!! I am cheering for you my Charlie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: simona fioravanti on 12/15/2011 at 11:14 pm

Good luck Chuck and to all your new friends. Hope you recover enough to see the Redskins put a whoop ass on your Giants Sunday!

Posted by: Bob Engel on 12/15/2011 at 7:37 pm

Loving the blogs…..We’ll be watching the trackers tonight!  Good luck James and Billy and all the Mike’s and Bill’s:)  Love to all!

Posted by: Kristi on 12/15/2011 at 7:12 pm

Love the blogs…the updates have been great!  Thinking about everyone and can’t wait to hear about the adventures.  Good luck Scottie, Michael, and Bill!  Love you!

Posted by: Emily Hill on 12/15/2011 at 8:19 am

Thanks for the updates, Casey! Please tell Bill, Scottie and Michael to do their very best! We love those guys. And everyone:  be safe and have fun!

Posted by: Susan Hill on 12/15/2011 at 7:06 am

Travel safe. Post some pictures and have a good time.

Posted by: Jack on 12/14/2011 at 8:19 pm

It is really nice to receive your blogs. Seems as if all is going very well. Good luck to the team! I am cheering for you Billy, I know you are fulfilling a dream and we are behind you. Love you, Mom

Posted by: Sue Campbell on 12/14/2011 at 4:10 pm

Very cool Casey. Madeline, Owen, and I are planning this trip fro next summer, we can’t wait. Stay safe.

Posted by: Dennis Friske on 12/14/2011 at 1:00 pm

Thanks so much for the update ! I am so proud of the Team and Charlie!!

Posted by: simona fioravanti on 12/14/2011 at 11:52 am

We love the blog updates, Casey! Keep them coming! Stay safe Cotopaxi Team - we love you Michael, Scottie and Dad and we’re so proud of you all!!!

Posted by: Courtney Froelich on 12/14/2011 at 11:45 am