Special Tribute to Nawang Gombu Sherpa

Posted by: | January 01, 2012
Categories: *Guide News

Special Tribute to Nawang Gombu Sherpa

Comments

I had the previlage of climing with Gombu in 1978
on Mt.McKinley along with Phil Ersler with the RMI
team. I spent several nights in the same tent with
him listening to him tell stories about his Everest
climbs, what an adventure to have meet him. Saw him
over 20years later on the way to the summit of Mt. Rainer and he reconized me!

Posted by: Greg H. Craft on 5/25/2012 at 2:59 pm

August 1984. My first climb of Mt. Rainier. Gombu was a great tutor, using crampons and an ice axe. The crevasse rescues were scary stuff, at first, but experience made them easier to set up and use successfully. After all the years in between, I remember Gombu well. Rest in peace.

Posted by: G. Arnold Hartford on 5/23/2012 at 2:54 pm

i am nima from darjeeling to

Posted by: nima on 5/20/2012 at 8:04 pm

I am not a climber but I met Nawang Gombu as part of a Climb for Clean Air training session on Mt. Rainier several years ago.  His willingness to take the time to share his experiences and knowhow with a bunch of desk-jockeys like me will never be forgotten. Nor will his sense of humor.

Posted by: Chris Trefzger on 5/18/2012 at 10:53 am

I met Gombu at a Jansport dealer climb in 1992. I have often looked back at that expierance, listening to Skip, Lou and Gombu’s stories with joy and inspiration. He was someone to be truly admired. Gombu’s presence will be missed.

Posted by: Matt Guyer on 5/17/2012 at 5:58 pm

Gombu was a good family friend (John, Dave & Jen Bidwell, and we had the opportunity to invite him along as our guest on a trek to the Kumbu, where he had grown up.  At the time of the trip he hadn’t been back to the Kumbu for nearly 30 years. I recall that it was very emotional for him to return.  He was an amazing man, kind, fun and strong.
I’ll always remember Gombu very fondly.  - John Bidwell

Posted by: John Bidwell on 5/17/2012 at 2:32 pm

Looking forward to the event. Nawang Gombu was a wonderful person and will be missed!

Posted by: Keith Gunnar on 4/18/2012 at 12:14 pm