Mt. Everest Expedition: Team Almost to Basecamp

Posted by: Dave Hahn, Melissa Arnot, Mark Tucker | May 27, 2012
Categories: *Expedition Dispatches *Everest

Update 2:45 pm Nepali time:

Dave Hahn, Melissa Arnot and team are 20 minutes from camp, so they are safely through the Khumbu Icefall!

I will still keep track of the Sherpa team that is still higher up on the mountain. They need to go back up to Camp 1 either tomorrow or the next day for final loads off the mountain. Until everyone is clear of the upper mountain, I will be here in communication with the Sherpa team. What a Climb!

RMI Guide and Everest Basecamp Manager Mark Tucker

Looking down at the top of the Khumbu Icefall Working through the Icefall

Sign Up For Everest 2012 Email Alerts

Comments

Mark,

Thanks so much for all the updates and a hearty congrats to you, Dave, Melissa, and your team! You may not remember, Mark, but my wife and I met you on Everest 2010 and most recently coming down the Mweka Route on all of our last day on Kili last August. We enjoyed chatting with you.

Best,
Brandon & Kristine Chalk

Posted by: Brandon Chalk on 5/29/2012 at 1:36 pm

Great news! Thanks for the update.

Posted by: jeff d on 5/28/2012 at 3:18 am

Dave and Melissa:
Congrats on another successful summitt! We knew you would do it and do it right! Can’t wait to see you at the Mountain Festival in September, if not sooner!

Posted by: Mike Brown on 5/27/2012 at 9:16 pm

Wooooo Hoooooo, Dave and Melissa.  So happy to hear you are down safe and sound.  Congrats on another successful summit and look forward to perhaps seeing you guiding on Rainier this season.  Awesome accomplishment.  Again, congrats!!!!!

Posted by: Josephine Johnson on 5/27/2012 at 7:59 pm

ROCK & ROLL!!  Way to go Dave, Mel, and team making it back to BC.  Wheeeewww!!
Time to rest up and celebrate later.  I’ll break open a cold one in your honor.  GREAT JOB!!!!

Posted by: T-Dawg on 5/27/2012 at 1:15 pm

All your bonedale friends are cheering for you!

Posted by: Ian K. Hause on 5/27/2012 at 12:45 pm

Bravo.  Glad you are all down safe.  Dave, I will see you back in Taos!

Posted by: bruiser on 5/27/2012 at 12:29 pm

Great following your progress again, Dave.  Congratulations to you and your team.
All Taos is very proud.

Posted by: Chuck Roberts on 5/27/2012 at 10:37 am

You guys are spectacular. Be careful.

Melissa, you’re one of the best women athletes EVER.
THANKS for letting me follow you.

SH

Posted by: Steve Hilmer on 5/27/2012 at 10:08 am

I have really been enjoying all of the updates. This is a great way to follow an expedition. I look forward to more.

Posted by: Lou on 5/27/2012 at 8:53 am