Mt. McKinley: Walter & Team Staying Put at 14k Camp

Posted by: Mike Walter, Paul Edgren | June 27, 2012
Categories: *Expedition Dispatches *Mount McKinley
Elevation: 14,000'

We went to bed with clear skies and a forecast for 12-18” of snow overnight. The clear skies persisted overnight and we didn’t get any new snow. There is a lenticular cloud on top of Denali today, indicating strong winds. We’re also seeing snow blowing off of the West Buttress between the top of the fixed ropes and high camp. The current winds and the increased avalanche hazard from yesterday’s foot of snow are keeping us at 14k for another day. The sunny weather at camp today is welcome, and is helping to keep our spirits high. It looks like some better weather is approaching for the weekend, and we’re hoping we’ll be able to take a crack at the summit then. With any luck, we’ll be able to move to high camp tomorrow and be in position for the arrival of the more favorable weather. We’ll keep you posted!

RMI Guide Mike Walter

14,000 ft. Camp on McKinley. Photo Seth Waterfall

On The Map

Sign Up For Mount McKinley 2012 Email Alerts

733 views

Comments

Stan - Hope you & Team have continued success today.  Talked with your Mom yesterday.  She is doing well.

Posted by: Jerry & Kay on 6/29/2012 at 6:11 am

Where at are you buttercup? Busch beer and mayonnaise sandwiches since you’ve been gone. My kids are starving!!

Posted by: Sunshine on 6/29/2012 at 4:06 am

Stan—thanks to your climbing mate to send the message.  Please DO NOT worry about us.  Fires are in NW COS to USAFA and Ute Pass to Woodland Park.  We have a pre-evac kit/plans, if needed. We are watching and praying for rain, cool temps, and rain!  Good luck on the Summit! Love me

Posted by: Betsy on 6/28/2012 at 7:14 pm

David,  I hope you and the team enjoyed the sun.  I hope the weather improves at higher ground and you make the summit this weekend.  We are all enjoying following along with the blog and are thinking about you. Andy…Bethany says be safe and love you!

Posted by: Andy Ward on 6/28/2012 at 6:24 pm

wishing all of you a safe journey. Hope you get a break in the weather. Tell Dr. Riester he makes my knees hurt…..Stay safe

Posted by: Lisa Van Nostran on 6/28/2012 at 11:28 am

Wishing you calm winds and the best climbing weather ever for the next few days!!

Posted by: Di on 6/28/2012 at 8:20 am

Hoop! I miss you! I check the blog every day while I eat breakfast on the beach in Arugam Bay… Makes me really appreciate fresh fruit… And wearing shorts. Stay safe up there and get home with all your toes. Love you!! ps. I didn’t last two days on the farm! Are you surprised? ;)

Posted by: marie on 6/28/2012 at 4:59 am

Paul, I am now rebelling in your absence. Today, for example, I colored my hair bright orange…like Garfield. If you don’t come back soon I’m gonna leave it like this.  Hope you get up there quick! I love love love you!!!

Posted by: jamie on 6/27/2012 at 11:02 pm

David, We have been watching your progress as we have moved through the wet, soggy weather from Bella Bella to Prince Rupert.  Hopefully your weather will improve and the conditions will be good for a summit.  Stay safe..  T&P, N&T

Posted by: Teri, Paul, Nancy and Tom on 6/27/2012 at 10:07 pm

The women in your life love and miss you and wish you and your gang safe travels.

Posted by: momspeak on 6/27/2012 at 7:57 pm

Dear David,I hope there will be a break in the weather and good conditions for the next move up… and the summit try, of course. Think positive! Sounds like you are with a good, strong group. Love,M

Posted by: Margaret on 6/27/2012 at 6:45 pm

Hope the weather allows you all to move up tomorrow! Longbonez, went to Boca Grande tonight and will take you when you get home! Be safe, we are all thinking of you and your team and wishing you the best! Everything is taken care of here, so no worries- Good Luck!

Posted by: Xbonez on 6/27/2012 at 5:07 pm

Leave a comment for the team


* required fields