Mt. McKinley: Brent Okita’s Team Begins Their Expedition in Alaska

Posted by: Brent Okita, Leah Fisher | May 22, 2013
Elevation: 346'

Everybody made it to Alaska just fine with just one not-so-minor hiccup. One duffel never showed up and had one of us spending the afternoon at REI replacing missing items. As luck would have it, we got a call from a climber in Talkeetna who had picked it up at the airport by mistake.  With that behind us we were ready for a beer and turned in after our big travel day.

Today we were busy getting the incredible amount of gear needed for this adventure ready for our flight in the morning.  Everyone is excited about getting started.  Me too, even after all these years.

More to come soon…

RMI Guide Brent Okita

The McKinley May 21, 2013, Expedition after breakfast in Talkeetna. Photo: Brent Okita Meeting of Friends in Talkeetna. Photo: Brent Okita

Sign Up For Mount McKinley 2013 Email Alerts

Comments

Dennis - Go get em guy - looks like you are with a good team - best of luck - see you soon - Mom & Dad

Posted by: Norman Uhlir on 5/30/2013 at 11:32 am

Gerald!!!

We’re all thinking of you and can’t wait to hear about the trip. All the best to you and the team my brother!
Mike

Posted by: Mike Arahill on 5/28/2013 at 4:10 pm

Good luck Gerald from one mountaineer to another…:) Hope my climb in June is slightly easier…

Posted by: Gerard on 5/26/2013 at 6:19 am

Good luck to you and the team on your walkabout Der,hope the beaches are hot and the beer cold.Its 32 in Sydney today!!! Take care

Posted by: Alan on 5/24/2013 at 9:21 am

Good luck Brent, Leah, and Team.  Looking forward to catching all the news on the blog.  Safe Journey to all.
Best- Mike Pruett and Karen Fisher

Posted by: Mike Pruett on 5/24/2013 at 8:28 am

Hi Logan-

After having been up there the last two years, I feel like I should be up there with you right now.  I miss that mountain.  I’m going to Mt. Elbrus in July but that’s a very poor substitute.

I’ll be keeping my eye on you and if I see you screwing off I’ll have to send Brent a private email about it.  :-D

-Larry Seaton

Posted by: Larry Seaton on 5/24/2013 at 7:04 am

Jeff
Kids look forward to follow you progress.  Stay safe

Posted by: Veronica on 5/23/2013 at 10:16 pm

Wishing the entire team safe footing and good experiences…
Ayla and Betz, you were missed tonight so we broke out the Pringles…
xxoo Mom

Posted by: Doni Silver Simons on 5/23/2013 at 9:33 pm

Monica, stay safe and think warm thoughts. Good luck.

Posted by: Mel on 5/23/2013 at 5:29 pm

All the girls on the stclair farm send you love and energy!

Posted by: meredith on 5/23/2013 at 1:41 pm

Good luck Dennis and the whole team! We are thinking of you and wishing for perfect weather!lots of love, Shelly, Jon and Tasha

Posted by: Shelly on 5/23/2013 at 12:53 pm

Good luck Brent & team!  I look forward to following the trip through the blog and hopefully making the climb next year!

Posted by: Nick Grant on 5/23/2013 at 9:57 am

Hey Betzalel have fun and bring back a snowball.

Posted by: Derryl on 5/23/2013 at 9:48 am

Monica, thinking warm and successful thoughts from the lower 48.  Make sure you eat a full breakfast not one of those little half things…be safe.  I will be checking the blog everyday…  I can’t wait to see you on top.

Posted by: Fletch on 5/23/2013 at 9:29 am

B & A: You guys look great! Can’t wait to see your whole trip unfold for you. Did you take that fold-up bike in your backpack? No? hmmm…  I let Yael know about this blog, and she’ll be keeping up, too. Love you. Dad & Mom

Posted by: Daniel on 5/23/2013 at 8:41 am

Hey Son, I’m thinking; adventures not taken is a life foresaken.  We are looking forward to your return. Love (you know how much) from all of us: Dad, Mom, Joe, Nora, Jake, Ed

Posted by: Virgil Hall, Sr. on 5/23/2013 at 7:00 am

Hello my big brother!  Mom and Dad are happy to see that you are okay!  Best wishes from the whole family - We Love you, are excited for you.  Good Luck and God Bless!!!  your little sister

Posted by: Nora on 5/23/2013 at 6:32 am

Hey Gerald ..... Hope you have a great climb and you share your music.

Posted by: John on 5/23/2013 at 4:17 am

Hi Derek and the team, best of luck on your epic expidition…...be safe up there and come back to us in one piece.  Looking forward to following your adventure….Caroline

Posted by: Caroline Cleere on 5/23/2013 at 3:14 am