Mt. McKinley: Nugent & Team Carry to 13,600’

Posted by: | May 24, 2013

We woke today to a blend of blue and white swirls, but with more blue above and more white down low—And with our team still charging strong—we made the push to cache food and gear at 13,600’.  This trek takes us onto a different aspect of the mountain, with views over to the “Father and Sons Wall” and the glaciers to the west, which feed north to the Bering Strait.  Pushing upward to 13,000’ we could see the tops of Foraker (17,000’) and Crosson (12,000’) poking out above a thick sea of clouds around 11k—we were happy to be above it all.  After caching our gear we headed down (a much quicker trip!) and we’re now back at camp just as the sun has begun burning through the clouds—perfect timing!

RMI Guide Kel Rossiter

The view from 11,000 ft with a cloud layer below.  Photo: RMI Collection An RMI team making a carry above 11,000 ft to cache gear.  Photo: RMI Collection

Sign Up For Mount McKinley 2013 Email Alerts

Comments

go pete and the team!  barb and I are praying for you in this awesome adventure!

Posted by: mike tubbs on 5/25/2013 at 7:58 am

Happy birthday Pete!  I baked you a huge cake but I guess I’ll just eat it myself.  Hope the trek continues well!

Posted by: Dan bos on 5/25/2013 at 6:36 am

Happy Birthday Pete. What a way to celebrate your birthday. :)
Hope weather stays nice for you guys.

Posted by: Wendi Kremer on 5/25/2013 at 3:58 am

All the boys are asking about you daily.  And I’m missing your company.  Chase got into preschool and we are awaiting your return.  Hope you are seeing some beautiful sights and taking lots of pics.  Stay safe and warm!

Posted by: Kristen on 5/24/2013 at 6:11 pm

Best wishes to my cousin, Craig Harms.  You are proving that even a Cyclone knows that you have to go up to get the top.
Cousin John

Posted by: John Keane on 5/24/2013 at 10:09 am

What an amazing journey everyone….way to go Pete!  And Happy Birthday tomorrow, May 25!

Posted by: Barbara Bos on 5/24/2013 at 9:39 am