Mt. McKinley: Van Deventer & Team Rest Day at 14K

Posted by: Pete Van Deventer, Geoff Schellens, Robby Young | June 28, 2013

Friday, June 28th, 2013
We had a great rest day here at 14k! We spent most of the day in the clouds, but it was warm and calm. We took the opportunity to prepare for the fixed lines and running belays that we will encounter on the West Buttress, and to fortify the snow walls surrounding our tents. All in all, a great day! Congrats to Mike Haugen’s team for standing on top today!

Tomorrow, we plan to make our first foray onto the West Buttress proper, to cache a load of food, fuel, and supplies at the base of Washburn’s Thumb. Once that is done, all the pieces are in place and we’ll be waiting for our summit window! We’ll let you know how it goes.

Best from everybody here,

RMI Guides Pete, Geoff, Robby, and the team

Post tent at 14,200' Camp with the fixed lines in the background. Photo: Lindsay Mann

Sign Up For Mount McKinley 2013 Email Alerts

Comments

We are so stoked for you Gail!  Good luck to you and your team!  The Marggrafs are sending you lots of love.

Posted by: Melissa Marggraf on 6/29/2013 at 1:00 pm

Hola Guapo (Guillermo)
The family is here at the house today…everyone is checking out your progress and we are all excited for the summit!
We see that the other team has summited, and just seeing the photo of the summit and knowing that will be you in a few days, was SO exciting!
I hope you aren’t having swelling, and that your toes and nose are hanging in there! drink lots of water!
Everyone is sending their love and support!
Guapa, Maya, Dana, Aleeta, Troy, Holly, Mom, Pammy, Theo and Adam

Posted by: marion and maya on 6/29/2013 at 11:21 am

Wyatt,
I’m so proud of you and the rest of your team! Looks like you guys are having some great weather, I hope it holds out for you. Best of luck to you all, keep it up!  :)
xoxo, Lindsey.

Posted by: Lindsey Porter on 6/29/2013 at 11:16 am

Good morning, Tommy! Love the reports from your guides! Tell them “thank you!” This helps me keep everyone on Facebook informed on your progress. It’s not the same as talking with you, but it’s the next best thing! I hope you are awesome and strong and excited about the day ahead. I saw Brandon yesterday! It was good to see him! He’s been busy working at Malte’s and the airport. I mentioned to him about the properties we want to look at, and it’s funny because he has been online looking himself and came across the one by Christoper. Sara and I have been by there to look at it, and it would be perfect for us! Brandon agrees! I am praying for it to still be available when you get back. We all miss you terribly!  I am praying for great weather and no delays to the summit. Be safe and have an extraordinary day! My love is always with you!
Rhonda

Posted by: Rhonda Kitchen on 6/29/2013 at 7:12 am

Go, Michael!  We’re thinking of you.  I’ve been showing Amanda the pictures- we’re heading to Annapolis today where we will meet Clare.

Posted by: Sara Doherty on 6/29/2013 at 12:59 am