Mt. McKinley: Van Deventer & Team Descend to 11,000’

Posted by: Pete Van Deventer, Geoff Schellens, Robby Young | July 08, 2013

Sunday, July 7, 2013
We are down in the thick air of 11k feet! We woke this morning to some snowfall, and generally wintry conditions, but nothing that we couldn’t deal with, and in short order we had camp packed and were rolling down the buttress. We made a short stop at 14 to visit with Dave Hahn’s team ( who were gracious enough to invite is into their posh and make us hot water) and pick up our cache. Another few hours brought us to the 11k camp, where we made our beds for the night. We plan to wake early and continue our descent down the Kahiltna, with the aim of being at the airstrip by mid morning! With luck, there will be a break in the clouds, and we will see the red planes of K2 dropping in to bring us back to Talkeetna! We’ll let you know how that goes, but for now, it’s early to bed for us!

RMI Guides Pete, Geoff, Robby, and team

An RMI Team camped at 11,200ft on Mt. McKinley.  Photo: RMI Collection

Sign Up For Mount McKinley 2013 Email Alerts

Comments

Hi team: My stepson is with Dave Hahn on the way up, and I’ve been reading your team’s posts also. Hope you got down, and got to fly out.

Posted by: Vicki on 7/10/2013 at 2:25 pm

Hola Guapo,
Viola just called me to tell me you were stuck” IN a glacier?”  I HOPE NOT!....I’m hoping you meant : “stuck ON the glacier i.e.:mountain”.  Did you forget our home number?
You have nothing scheduled at the office until the 22nd. Viola wanted me to let you know that. She said you would be home Thursday How is this possible?
Aywhoooo
Are you planing to take me away?...Far…....Far…...away? I hope so! If you can’t…make sure you pick up a box of Calgon at the supermercado before you come home! (Calgon take me way!!)
xxoo
Marion

Posted by: marion and maya on 7/9/2013 at 3:09 pm

Michael, I’ve been checking every few hours, hoping for an updated post. We’re anxious for you to be off the mountain so you can tell us of your experience. And I can stop worrying!
Mom

Posted by: Sara Doherty on 7/9/2013 at 2:53 pm

Good morning, Tommy! Waiting for a new report is difficult! I’m sorry, I know the waiting is worse for you. I am just so anxious to hear from you! I hope you rested well, and this day presents an opportunity for ya’ll to fly to Talkeetna. I love you and miss you!
Rhonda

Posted by: Rhonda Kitchen on 7/9/2013 at 8:37 am

Hi Guapo,
Every time the phone rings; I’m hoping its you! Lilikoi had her visit from Cornell Vet School today ( OH MY-The Diva didn’t like that very much!) Baby Gooze looks like a bionic kitty…the birds miss you; we miss you!
I hope you’ll be here by the weekend….
Lotsa Love
Guapa

Posted by: marion and maya on 7/9/2013 at 8:30 am

Hi Tommy! I guess you didn’t make it off the mountain today….It was a long day waiting for the phone to ring. I know it must be hard for everyone to be this close to civilization wanting to call home, take a shower, and have a good meal and not be there yet. I guess there’s no chance of leaving this evening. I wish I could just hear something, anything, from you, but I’ve waited this long so I’ll wait a little longer. I have left lots of texts on your phone :\ I hope you have an awesome night and sleep well. I’ll pray for an opportunity to leave for tomorrow. I am always thinking of you! Lots of love!!!!
Rhonda