Mt. Elbrus: Grom & Team Enjoy Rest Day on the Mountain

Posted by: Casey Grom | July 12, 2013
Categories: *Expedition Dispatches *Elbrus Southside

Today was our rest day, and that’s exactly what we did!
We started the day off with a brief review of how to use our ice axes and crampons just a few feet from our camp at 12,000’ on Mt. Elbrus (there’s plenty of snow very near). And quickly transitioned into another delicious breakfast with plenty of coffee. Once our bellies were full everyone returned to our bunk space and relaxed till lunch. It is vacation after all! We had lunch and then discussed tomorrows climbing plan so that we could do a little prep work before settling in tonight. If all goes well our plan is to have breakfast at 1am then catch a snow cat ride up to about 15,000ft and begin our climb from where we left off yesterday. I’m expecting the climb to take about 6-8 hours up and about 3-4 ours back down. So, if all goes according to plan we should be on top around 9 a.m. our time!

Everyone is excited for tomorrow.

Wish us luck!
RMI Guide Casey Grom and crew

The East and West summits of Mt. Elbrus (18,510 ft).  Photo: Linden Mallory

Sign Up For Elbrus Southside 2013 Email Alerts

Comments

Congratulations to the whole team.  What a wonderful view from the top and a great achievement.  You all look happy and healthy.  And best of all you have arrived safely at the lodge.  All our love to Jennifer and the whole team.  Thanks for the safe journey.  Love Mama Z

Posted by: patricia Blitz on 7/13/2013 at 1:06 pm

Larry,

Well done, once again!

Howard

Posted by: Howard Norman on 7/13/2013 at 9:58 am

Larry and Casey I saw Larry’s picture of the top. I expect nothing less out of the two of you. Enjoy. Remember - details - I’m heading there next.

Posted by: Bissell on 7/13/2013 at 6:48 am

Good luck to my best friend and husband! I am hoping your enjoying the view from the top right now!!! I love you Chris!!!

Posted by: Lacie Wolf on 7/12/2013 at 9:10 pm

Hey Smalls, (aka Jenn Zivic)),
I Miss you and know that you are representing dad well and thanks for that.  I am home with MA watching you summit and im super pysched.  Cheers to you and all your parties involved.  I hope to see you soon girl .  I love you.  Be Safe!

Posted by: fritz zivic on 7/12/2013 at 9:09 pm

Go Wolf!

Posted by: Joe on 7/12/2013 at 7:16 pm

Larry,
Best wishes with the summit.
Love,
Debbie

Posted by: Debbie (Sue) on 7/12/2013 at 1:08 pm

Have a great climb Larry and team!!

Posted by: Paul Kinneberg on 7/12/2013 at 11:13 am

Hi to you amazing people
I hope you have good weather.  It sure sounds exciting.
All our BFF’s here in New York are with you in spirit.  Tell Jennifer I hope the winds are good for her dad (she’ll understand). Can’t wait for the next blog and pictures from the top.  Hugs and lots of love to all of you.  Love Mama Z

Posted by: patricia Blitz on 7/12/2013 at 9:04 am