Mt. Kilimanjaro: Grom & Team Continue Ascent with New Altitude Record for Some

Posted by: Casey Grom | August 22, 2013
Categories: *Expedition Dispatches *Kilimanjaro

Hello All,

Today the team was greeted with clear skies and plenty of sunshine above a cloud layer that filled the valleys below Mt. Kilimanjaro. We started the day in similar fashion with fresh fruit, eggs and great coffee, and started our hike in light layers and lots of suncream just after 8 am again. The team made good time climbing up the Shira Plateau which is an old lava flow with sparse vegetation and plenty of boulders. We ascended up to a place called Lava Tower which is around 15,000’ and managed to set a few new altitude records for some of the team. Once our high point was reached we descend down into the Barranco Valley where we marveled at the unique giant groundsels and Senecio trees that litter this area.

We arrived at camp with all our tents set up and ready for us to move into once again. The team is incredibly thankful for the hardworking support that we have here on Kilimanjaro.

Everyone is doing great and looking forward to a much deserved night of rest.

RMI Guide Casey Grom and the Kilimanjaro crew

The Kilimanjaro August 17th team gathered in the dining tent.  Photo: Casey Grom The first views of Barranco Camp when coming down the trail from Lava Tower, Kilimanjaro.  Photo: Casey Grom

Sign Up For Kilimanjaro 2013 Email Alerts

Comments

Hey Steve and Brian! Been following your progress all week. If I’m getting it straight, tonight is the night! So good luck and enjoy every minute of it! You guys rock.

Posted by: Dave L on 8/24/2013 at 8:17 am

Hey what’s that hat you’re wearing Chambo? WHat a nice bunch of smiles you all have on. Clearly you need more challenge.  : )

Posted by: jordo on 8/23/2013 at 7:09 am

Jess, m’dear, I am SO proud of you!! I bet this is the experience of a lifetime. You look so happy in the pic on this post. Hope you, mama, MF and the crew are all doing well. Love you!

Posted by: Jackie on 8/23/2013 at 6:24 am

Wow! It looks incredibly surreal and unbelievably exciting! I am thinking of your group and my heart is with you every step of the way.  Breathe it all in!
You are all amazing!
With love,
Laurie

Posted by: Laurie Freeman on 8/23/2013 at 3:19 am

Posted by: This Is For Katie on 8/22/2013 at 8:49 pm

No wonder we’re not getting any snapchats from you, Katie! We love youuu

Posted by: Jess and Shelby on 8/22/2013 at 7:29 pm

Looks like you’re having a blast! We like the 5-star accommodations ha

Posted by: Jess and Shelby on 8/22/2013 at 7:28 pm

Hi Chris,Jess and the Freedman contingent.
You guys are doing great at least your guide seems to think so. I know im impressed with your progress. Hows the snacking doing? Chris are you done with those mint choc cliff bars? Im thinking you’ll be ready for some wine sometime soon. Oh what an accomplishment when all said and done. Tread on !

Love,
Tom

Posted by: Tom on 8/22/2013 at 4:58 pm

To Bruce and the A team. Hope your climb is a fantastic one. The next one after this will be to the top of the world - mt. Everest.  We both send our love. Mom and dad

Posted by: Marilyn on 8/22/2013 at 4:44 pm

Bruce, Michael, and Katie - sending you my very best for a safe and successful climb. Have an awesome time and enjoy, what I’m sure will be, a very memorable experience and journey. Hugs, Katherine

Posted by: Katherine on 8/22/2013 at 4:12 pm

Oh, wait!  I see you Jessie!  You look great! Chris, now you just need to get in there…unless you are and I don’t recognize you.

Posted by: Susan D'Avanzo on 8/22/2013 at 1:02 pm

I’m guessing there isn’t a spa up there.  So, where are you Chris and Jessie?  It would definitely make me feel more comfortable if you were in the photo.  I’m going to check back tomorrow and I hope you guys will make your way into the group photo! Love and oxygen, Susan :)

Posted by: Susan D'Avanzo on 8/22/2013 at 12:55 pm

Hi Jessie & Chris….You must be experiencing a tremendous feeling of peace after climbing to such a high point! Wow!! It sounds like everyone is doing well there!  You’re closing in…  Love Joanie and Dad

Posted by: Joan and Bob on 8/22/2013 at 10:09 am

Hey Bruce— Glad to see your smiling face. Have a great trip and be sure not to ask Casey to loan you his chapstick!!! Sterling

Posted by: Sterling Foreman on 8/22/2013 at 7:45 am

Hey Midge, I’m sure its getting tougher every hour now.. You can do this!! Praying n rooting for safety n succes! 4th qtr free throws, kiddo! Soho shopping n chocolate covered ribs when u get back!!! :) Big hugs to MF n Mom.. Ilusb, Poppy

Posted by: karl on 8/22/2013 at 7:32 am

Looking good, Chambos!  We’re following you daily…

Posted by: Jimb on 8/22/2013 at 6:30 am