Mt. Elbrus: Waterfall & Team Safe and Sound at Basecamp

Posted by: Seth Waterfall, Pete Van Deventer | September 02, 2013
Categories: *Expedition Dispatches *Elbrus Northside

Hi, this is Seth.  We’re all back down at basecamp.  It was a bummer to walk down today without the summit but that’s the way it goes sometimes.  Everyone was in good spirits even though we didn’t top out.

The weather has just not cooperated with us for a summit bid.  We were never able to reach high camp and that forced us to try to go for the top from Camp 1.  Even then the winds pushed us back after just a few hours.

Like I said, that’s the way it goes sometimes.  The important thing is that we’ve all descended safe and sound.  We have some great stories that is for sure.

RMI Guide Seth Waterfall

Final stretch back to Mt. Elbrus Basecamp. Photo: RMI Collection

Sign Up For Elbrus Northside 2013 Email Alerts

Comments

Team -

BUMMER !!

I just returned from Burning Man where we battle wind and dust instead of wind and snow.  I’m sorry to hear that Elbrus has been throwing up roadblocks for you guys.  Sounds totally different than when I was there in July.  St. Petersburg is a fabulous city.  You’ll all love it.

Seth - Looking forward to seeing you and Dave down at Vinson in 3 months.

-Larry Seaton

Posted by: Larry Seaton on 9/3/2013 at 11:31 am

James and team

I hope you have a wonderful time in St. P!

I am rEally looking forward to hearing your stories, learning more about the partcular challenges you faced and safely addressed, and hearing about your next mega-goal and adventure.  Your couageous acts and actvities are very inspiring and motivational to me!!!

Travel safely,

Fred K

Posted by: Fred Klingbeil on 9/3/2013 at 3:03 am

Wished it had turned out differently…You know you were prepared…The mountain will still be there…Best and Bless…Waltero

Posted by: walter on 9/3/2013 at 2:11 am

Can’t wait to hear about your adventures.  Glad that everyone is safe and doing well.  Looking forward to seeing you when you get home, James.

Posted by: The Scotts on 9/2/2013 at 3:45 pm

So sorry you didn’t make it to the summit!! Even so, you had an incredible adventure that not too many people can say they experienced!! Glad you’re all safe and Godspeed home!! Can’t wait to hear all about it, Jeff Pfeiffer!!!! Love, Emah

Posted by: Jackie Pfeiffer on 9/2/2013 at 1:11 pm

Hi Team & Doug
I know you are all disappointed but I too want to thank Seth & Pete for using good judgement on this climb.You all tried your best & what an experience!Enjoy your time in St. Petersburg.
Lorraine