Aconcagua: Beren and Team Carry to Camp 2

Posted by: Jake Beren, Mike King, Steve Gately | December 30, 2013
Categories: *Expedition Dispatches *Aconcagua

The team is relaxing at Camp 1 for siesta time. In case all you fine folks back home think all we do is eat and nap, allow me to retort. We do as much of that as we can to be sure, but this morning we pushed a load up to 18,000 feet in preparation of our eventual move to Guanacos (named for the llama type creatures native to the lower flanks of the mountain) Camp, our Camp 2. After making it up there, we cached a fair bit of gear and beat feet back to Camp 1. Today serves to make our packs lighter for the move and give the team a taste of a new altitude. We will rest this afternoon and probably tomorrow before busting higher. By then out bodies should be lean, mean climbing machines.

Keep those fingers crossed amigos!

Jake, Mike, Steve and Team

Sign Up For Aconcagua 2013 Email Alerts

Comments

Sha Du. Thinking bout you brother!

Posted by: DD on 12/31/2013 at 8:27 am

Hermano!! The Banana just showed this to me! Very cool!! I would like to inquire, who is carrying the champagne?! Regardless- Happy New Year!

Posted by: Dimples on 12/31/2013 at 6:54 am

Sending positive, strengthening, and hydrating vibes your way.  It’s NYE on planet earth, and you all are having the best party ever:  power on.

Posted by: nsb on 12/31/2013 at 6:43 am

New Years Eve at 16,000 feet. Sounds like a great time to me. I hope the weather continues to hold.

Happy New Year Steve and team!

Posted by: Bill Gately on 12/31/2013 at 4:53 am

J,M,S,P,M,G,B,B,C,R,V
Hello from Mendoza. Keep up the good work. Wishing I was still with you. Be safe, have fun, enjoy your time together. I miss each of you. Fletch

Posted by: Fletch on 12/31/2013 at 3:34 am

Hello Monica,
Kathy MB and I want to wish you a HAPPY NEW YEAR!
So cool to read of your journey up the mountain. Remember to smile big at the top so God knows it’s you!

Jim

Posted by: JIM GENTLE on 12/30/2013 at 5:20 pm

Barbara…I thought you were on JJ’s team, but Fatima says you are with Jake…congrats on your climb.  What a great accomplishment.  Give me details when you get back so I can plan for 2014…Deb

Posted by: Debbi LaPrevotte on 12/30/2013 at 5:08 pm

Rest up guys! Sounds like the adventure is as awesome as expected Bill! We have appreciated seeing the pix both from your team and others.

Saludos a todos!!

Wolf & Lani

Posted by: Wolf & Lani on 12/30/2013 at 2:56 pm

Monica - we are so excited and happy for all of you.  What an experience.
All is well here.  Late spring weather and no rain in sight.
We wish you and all of your campmates and guides a very Happy New Year and 2014!
Love, Mom and Dad