Aconcagua: Beren and Team Rest Day at Guanacos (Camp 2)

Posted by: Jake Beren, Steve Gately, Mike King | January 02, 2014
Categories: *Expedition Dispatches *Aconcagua

Holá from 18,000 ft above the sea!  We spent a windy evening up here last night, but so far camp is holding tight. With any luck this weather pattern will relax by tomorrow and we will be in solid shape to move higher! Today we are going to review some crampon and ice axe techniques before lunch and then take a little stroll post meal. Then more resting to be prepared for a few big days coming up.

The team is doing great, and now we just need a few good weather days to make our move to Camp 3 and then shoot for the top. For now we wait for the wind to relax and head up when the mountain lets us.

RMI Guide Jake Beren & Team

Rest Day at Camp 2. RMI Photo Collection

Sign Up For Aconcagua 2014 Email Alerts

Comments

Just got 15 inches of snow over night. Temps in the low teens. Probably much better where you are.

Scenery looks beautiful up top there. Hope the weather cooperates for a good summit attempt.

Hike well and be safe.

Posted by: Bill Gately on 1/3/2014 at 10:10 am

George,

Glad to hear that all is well.  We head to Asheville tomorrow to eat dinner with Barry and the family.  After dinner, we are off to a Charlotte hotel to get a little sleep before an early flight to Pasadena.  With a little luck, we will have a double celebration on Monday—Your triumphal summit and a BCS trophy with Auburn’s name on it.  War Eagle!

Posted by: Carolyn Crandell on 1/2/2014 at 11:26 pm

Bill & team, continue to climb strong & keep safe. I can’t wait to hear all about it on the 14th !
Love, Carol xx

Posted by: Carol on 1/2/2014 at 7:50 pm

So glad to hear this positive news. I hope you are getting (or already got!) the break in the wind you need to move on up. (Go Monica!!)

Posted by: Elliot Marseille on 1/2/2014 at 7:45 pm

Hi Bill,
As Norm mentioned, we’re here at sea level, 47 degrees, calm, cloudy but dry, doing garden work. No surprise there. However it makes it hard to grasp that you’re not here; but in fact are half a world away, toiling up the flanks of the tallest peak along the spine of a continent, sandwiched between two oceans, approaching the stratosphere. What a fantastic adventure you’re on! Of course, we’re all pulling for you and with you in spirit.
Fred and Norm and Joey

Posted by: Fred on 1/2/2014 at 6:05 pm

Paul(AKÂ) Man of my dreams.

I love you!!!  Cannot wait to climb with you in May.  I’m proud of you and the team.  Summit and come home soon.

Sherri

Posted by: sherri on 1/2/2014 at 5:35 pm

Barbara, I am following your progress….great job!!!

Posted by: Debbi on 1/2/2014 at 5:34 pm

Hey Bill!
Hope you enjoyed your rest day. Fred and I worked in his gardens today getting ready for Spring. Mild gray weather lately & no rain. I even took off my parka. I wish you and your team calm weather as well for the next few days.  Love you.  Norm

Posted by: Norm Vork on 1/2/2014 at 4:37 pm

Great work team. Back in North Carolina. Thinking about each of you. Be strong. Fletch

Posted by: Fletch on 1/2/2014 at 1:44 pm

How coool!!!  Congrats!!  Bravo!!
Bill, I tried to leave a comment here but the system wouldn’t accept it??
So, how long is your beard now??
Sending you lots of love across the miles.  You’re view is just stunning!!  And you have CLEAR skies and sunshine, unlike what we’re having here on Vashon Island—typical gray overcast days…
Big hugs!