Aconcagua: Justman & Team Begin Trek to Basecamp

Posted by: JJ Justman, Mike King, Steve Gately | January 13, 2014
Categories: *Expedition Dispatches *Aconcagua

The gang is all here! It certainly has been an adventure already for half of our team. However, we are all ready to go. For the other part of the team we had a great day in Penitentes, which is a small ski area.

We had our first glance of Aconcagua as we took a 4-hour hike up to 10,000 feet. It’s a beautiful view of the south face of Aconcagua. The team finished packing our duffels for the mules and we are ready to walk!

RMI Guide JJ Justman

Aconcagua trailhead. Photo: JJ Justman Team beginning their trek into Basecamp. Photo: JJ Justman Team taking photos of their first views of Aconcagua. Photo: JJ Justman

Sign Up For Aconcagua 2014 Email Alerts

Comments

Hi Lew-

Look forward to hearing all about your trip. We are praying for you. Hope it is all you imagined it would be. Take care and God Bless!

John

Posted by: john walker on 1/16/2014 at 12:06 pm

Lew:  Praying for a great climb for you brother!  I’ll think and pray for you often.  Can’t wait to see the pictures!
Mike H

Posted by: Mike Harvey on 1/16/2014 at 7:35 am

You rock Lee! You’re in my prayers! Take time to just soak up the experience! God speed!

Posted by: Brent on 1/14/2014 at 2:55 pm

Way to go, Dad (Lew Smith)!  You look great, the weather looks great!  I’m so excited for you!  Climb on!

Posted by: Kyle Smith on 1/14/2014 at 1:44 pm

Looks great.  Still trying to determine sender of your last message from Larry Seaton.  Maybe its Terry and the pox is getting him.  Good luck and God speed.  Don’t come back with the pox.  By the way, the fish are hitting like gangbusters - they’ll probably stop by the time you get back.  Breath deep.

Posted by: Uncle Jake on 1/14/2014 at 9:33 am

Lew,

Very cool trip!  Good luck, I know you’ll make it.

Kevin Jerome

Posted by: Kevin Jerome on 1/14/2014 at 8:49 am

Best wishes for a successful climb on your 20th expedition of Aconcagua Jeff (JJ) !!!

Posted by: Jodi on 1/14/2014 at 7:10 am

Lew -

My thoughts and prayers are with you every step of the way.  Wish I was in shape to make the trek and climb with you.  Can’t wait to hear about your adventures when you come back home.

Posted by: Jim Davis on 1/14/2014 at 7:01 am

Good Morning Mamason Denise!!!! Yahooo! I see you up there. Holy cow. That is great! You Rock.
MF

Posted by: Mary Fox on 1/14/2014 at 6:57 am

Lew,

I have been in prayer for your trip and all involved each day brother.

Climb On
Dry Fly

Posted by: Jason on 1/14/2014 at 6:42 am

Lew,
God Speed.  The study is praying for you!  Walk with Him all the way to the TOP!!
K

Posted by: Kenny Klimes on 1/14/2014 at 6:17 am

Hi Bissell -

You never told me you were going down there.  It’s a fabulous trip and you’ll love it!  I’ll be following you guys on your journey.  Keep pursuing the high peaks so you can join me on Everest in 2015.

-Larry Seaton