Kilimanjaro: Martin & Team Ready for Summit Bid

Posted by: Jeff Martin | February 15, 2014
Categories: *Expedition Dispatches *Kilimanjaro

Hello from Barafu Camp,

We are at our high camp and ready for our summit attempt tomorrow! The team did great again today and everybody is excited to be here at 15,000’.
Today was a relatively short hiking day, climbing about 2,000’ in just under three hours and reaching camp before noon. This is another great benefit to the Machame Route. Having a short day right before summit day allows us plenty of time to rest, hydrate, pack and get to bed early all in preparation of tomorrow. We’ll have dinner at 5:00 and then hopefully be in bed by 6:30 at the latest. Most of us probably won’t sleep much, but our bodies will get enough rest we need for the long day ahead.
The alarm is set for 11:45 pm, and the plan is to be walking out of camp around 12:45. About seven hours later, we should be standing on top of Kilimanjaro. Wish us luck and we will try and give a call tomorrow from the summit.

Best regards,
RMI Guide Jeff Martin

The trail leading to High Camp on Kilimanjaro. Photo: Jeff Martin Seth Waterfall's team at a rest break overlooking Kilimanjaro. Photo: Seth Waterfall

Sign Up For Kilimanjaro 2014 Email Alerts

Comments

Sarah,.  .  .  this is a totally wonderful and thrilling achievement! Congratulations!
We can’t wait to hear all about it. Love Dad & Susan

Posted by: Richard on 2/16/2014 at 10:28 pm

Way to go! Good work, Sarah and team!  Thank-you for the blog, comments, etc.  Sarah, you have the genes!

Love,
R&C

Posted by: Rondi Saslow on 2/16/2014 at 9:00 am

Holly, et al..
So excited for you! Envy your view tomorrow!
Enjoy every moment.
Regis

Posted by: Regis on 2/15/2014 at 7:00 pm

Go, Sarah & team!!!
The home team is cheering you onward & upward!

Happy trails, yeeeee ha!!!!! xoxox’s

Posted by: Marguerite Saslow on 2/15/2014 at 6:07 pm

Oh so close. What a beautiful site it will be tomorrow when you reach the summit. Enjoy :)

Posted by: Cheryl on 2/15/2014 at 3:26 pm

Good luck to everyone tomorrow! I hope you all have a great hike to the top and it is more beautiful than any of you could have imagined. Everyone stay safe!

Posted by: Jesse on 2/15/2014 at 12:54 pm

Strong work team Boehm!  Good luck tomorrow!

Posted by: Trevor L on 2/15/2014 at 12:47 pm

Good luck tomorrow. This is crazy but my heart is pumping hard just excited for you all. Enjoy the ride. Hugs for our family up there. Love you to the moon & back (now that you’re closer to it :) X X X

Posted by: Jackie Boehm on 2/15/2014 at 12:25 pm

Your almost there! One more big push. I so proud of Mom and Chris, even though I’m (kinda) grown up you can still inspire me. As for Eric… I’m proud of you to bro. Call me ASAP! Tracy I’m sure your adding your positive energy to the group as well and for that I thank you. Good luck! Love you all and can’t wait I hear about your success!

Posted by: Derek Kraft on 2/15/2014 at 11:52 am

Love these posts! Thank you! We are with you all in spirit! Love, Jody, Belle & Bliss!

Posted by: Jody Frederickson on 2/15/2014 at 11:12 am