McKinley: Walter & Team Wait out Weather in Good Company

Posted by: Mike Walter, Solveig Waterfall, Steve Gately | May 24, 2014
Categories: *Expedition Dispatches *Mount McKinley
Elevation: 14,000'

May 23, 2014

High winds aloft again thwarted our plans to move to high camp today.

The team enjoyed another rest day, and we have now joined forces with Pete VanDeventer and his team, who arrived a few days ago, and together have built ourselves quite the RMI compound here in the Genet Basin.
After breakfast, Mike, Steve, and I made a quick lap down to 11 Camp to dig up our cache and retrieve any usable food items, extra gas, and personal supplies to help us extend our stint on the mountain.

We were hoping to get some promising news from the weather forecast this evening, but it sounds like we are going to have to dig our heels in and hang on, as high winds and multiple feet if snow are predicted over the next few days.

On a positive note, we scored some brownies and oreo’s from a descending team, and thankfully Mike’s frozen Kindle came back to life.  We are now all happily entertained campers (and snackers) at 14,000’, prepared to ride out this weather system!

Small miracles….

RMI Guide Solveig Waterfall & Team

Deep Snow at 14,000' on Mt. McKinley, Alaska. RMI Photo Collection

Sign Up For Mount McKinley 2014 Email Alerts

246 views

Comments

We hope you get out soon. Nicky and Bob must be chafing at the bit. good luck!

Posted by: Frank Haasbeek on 5/25/2014 at 4:12 am

Steve and Team,

Got a little worried when I saw no update this morning. Glad to hear all is well and you have combined groups.

Hope things clear before “tent fever’ has everyone grabbing their ice axe!

Hike well and be safe.

Dad

Posted by: Bill Gately on 5/24/2014 at 1:28 pm

Leave a comment for the team


* required fields