Mt. Rainier: June 13th - Update

Posted by: Tyler Reid, Pete Van Deventer, Sean Collon, Alex Barber, Christina von Mertens, Andrew Kiefer | June 13, 2014
Categories: *Expedition Dispatches *Mount Rainier

Our Four Day Summit Climb Teams Led by RMI Guides Tyler Reid and Pete Van Deventer were turned at 12,600’ due to weather.  The team climbed into a cap and reported low visibility, cold temperatures, snow showers a couple of inches of accumulation and light to moderate winds.  The teams are en route Back to Camp Muir and will be back at Rainier Basecamp early this afternoon.

Congratulations to Today’s Teams.

Comments

Will and Tim it was an honor to have attempted the summit of Rainier with you. Pete, I would follow your lead up any mountain my friend. You kept it cool and calm under all conditions, including me tugging at your rope at 12,000ft.

Posted by: charles on 6/18/2014 at 6:57 am

Good try Ted and friends.  Weather can be the decider up on Rainier.  The Top of the Cleaver is still high, and it is the crux of the route you were on.  The mountain will always be there and I know you will go back.  Hopefully, I can go with you again!  Still a great adventure and a big accomplishment.
Dad

Posted by: Jim Daverman on 6/13/2014 at 3:28 pm

Thinking about you, Critter!  What stories you’ll have to tell.  You’re way higher on Rainier that I have ever been and it’s been the iconic mountain of my life.  Can’t wait to hear all about it.
XO
The Evil Mother in Law

Posted by: Michele Unger on 6/13/2014 at 1:20 pm

It is the adventure that counts.  You will have lifelong memories of this.  There is always a next time to get to the summit.

Posted by: Steve on 6/13/2014 at 10:52 am

Shout out to my big brothers, Grant & Ladd!  Wish you could’ve seen the top…next time! Have a safe trip back down.

Posted by: Muffy on 6/13/2014 at 9:05 am

I’m so proud of you guys. We love you and can’t wait to hear from you when you get down the mountain!

Posted by: Julie on 6/13/2014 at 8:39 am

Awesome guys!!!  I have to agree with Jeanne.. You’ll just have to go again!! So cool you went!!

Posted by: Judy on 6/13/2014 at 8:31 am

You guys are amazing!  I know you must be disappointed that you weren’t able to make it all the way to the top, but I know you did your best under the circumstances.  You’ll just have to go again!

Posted by: Jeanne on 6/13/2014 at 8:00 am