Mt. McKinley: Nugent & Team Report from 17,000’ Camp

Posted by: Billy Nugent, Levi Kepsel, Chase Nelson | June 26, 2014
Categories: *Expedition Dispatches *Mount McKinley
Elevation: 17,200'

June 28, 2014 -  10:27pm

Hey, it’s Billy calling in from 17 Camp on Denali.  Today was not summit day for us. We woke up to some inclement weather that’s been steadily working all day with winds gusting near 70 miles an hour or so. We build up pretty solid, fortified camp and everyone’s sitting tight and holding on. Winds from the storm are supposed to give way to nicer weather in the next couple of days so we’re just sitting tight with our fingers crossed. We’ll call and check in tomorrow, to let you know if we got up there. That’s all for now.

RMI Tents at 17,200' Camp.  Photo: Lindsay Mann


Billy Nugent checking in from 17,200' Camp on Denali

Sign Up For Mount McKinley 2014 Email Alerts

156 views

Comments

Eric: 70mph winds…OUCH…flapping tent syndrome….use the ear bud skull cap combo to keep from going insane! Trust tomorrow things calm down. U.P.

Posted by: Paul on 6/26/2014 at 3:03 pm

Been checking the blog nonstop to see if you guys had made any progress! Not to worry, keeping our fingers crossed that the weather clears up and you will be able to make a successful summit bid! Keep up the great work! Miss you Dad and Michael! xoxo

For any of you soccer fans up there: the Men’s US soccer team advanced to the knockout round about an hour ago (despite a loss to Germany). #MURICA

Posted by: Katie Freedman on 6/26/2014 at 10:32 am

I was so anxious for news, and I am glad everyone is doing well.
Hopefully the weather will be turning in your favor soon…
Rafa: GO, GO !!!!! Miss you.

Posted by: Monique on 6/26/2014 at 8:16 am

Leave a comment for the team


* required fields