Mt. McKinley: Knoff & Team Move to 14,000’ Camp

Posted by: Adam Knoff, Lindsay Mann, Andy Hildebrand | July 01, 2014

June 30, 2014 - 11:19pm PT

After an impromptu camp on the polo field we woke up to intermittent wind gusts rattling our tent flys. We crawled out of our shelters to crisp cold weather and blue skies. We ate a quick breakfast and began to break camp to complete our journey to 14,200’ feet. Amidst the chaos of packing our bags we spotted Billy Nugent and his crew descending from a successful summit, we exchanged high fives and and hit the trail. This time equipped with snow shoes and skis to deal with the waist deep drifts. We were feeling very happy about floating on the snow surface vs crawling through it. We had pleasant weather and relatively calm winds working our way around Windy Corner. We pulled into camp and made ourselves at home, feeling the altitude a little we began to take care of ourselves and focus on the mountain ahead of us.

We are all feeling good and hoping for the best weather possible.

RMI Guide Adam Knoff & Team

Windy Corner on Mt. McKinley. Photo: Brent Okita

Sign Up For Mount McKinley 2014 Email Alerts

Comments

Go Andy! Exciting to see a guy from PA on such an awesome adventure.

Posted by: Matthew Nebzydoski on 7/2/2014 at 4:14 pm

You almost have this mountain conquered.  Keep on and up and take care of yourselves!

Posted by: susanlampas on 7/2/2014 at 2:49 am

Yesterday I took a gondola to the highest point in Germany, but we still had to climb about 50 stairs to get to the actual summit. No pack, no weather issues, no sleeping on a mountain, and I was still out of breath. Much respect to your team! Stay safe.

Posted by: Barb Haertl on 7/2/2014 at 1:55 am

Glad all are well and made it this far!  All my best for the rest of the climb!  Wish I could send you some Blue Ridge Mountain sunshine and warmth.

Posted by: Carolyn on 7/1/2014 at 6:10 pm

Reading the blog everyday and hoping July 4 is your lucky day.  Sending you warmth.

Posted by: Jane on 7/1/2014 at 4:23 pm

Looks like your making some real progress. Can’t believe your at the elevation of Ranier and still have another 6000+ feet to go! Wishing you good weather and conditions on your way to 17. We enjoy reading your blogs back here in Pa.

Posted by: Jerry Hildebrand on 7/1/2014 at 3:11 pm

These posts are so exciting to read and the photographs are terrific although I know that they do not do the mountain justice.  You’ve had quite an experience (understating it I know) with that snow storm.  I don’t suppose that you want to hear that it is 90ยบ in NY today - tell Mark Skinner!  I know that when I’m cold I can scarcely imagine being hot.
Best wishes for perfect weather going forward and upward.  Face East and give Yukon a wave to wish them Happy Canada Day tonight!  Sleep well.

Posted by: Andrea Pratt on 7/1/2014 at 2:14 pm

Your weather should be improving finally and I hope that you can all use that to your advantage. Glad the snow conditions have improved. Push on!
Peter