Ben grew up in Minnesota and went on his first, week-long backcountry trip via canoe at 6 months old. Ever since he was hooked. Over the past 8 years, he has worked as an outdoor educator and has spent the last 4 years guiding skiing and climbing in Colorado.
Ben loves teaching others about the mountains as much as he enjoys playing in them himself. He strives to help his guests be participants and partners in the process of climbing mountains so that they get the most out of the experience.
In his free time, you’ll most likely find him climbing up something to ski down it. You can check out what he’s been up to lately at his website: www.benmarkhart.com or on Instagram @benmarkhart.
- Traditional rock climbs up to 5.11, Grade V around Colorado, Utah, California and Wyoming and Idaho.
- Water ice climbs up to WI5+, Grade III around Colorado.
- Technical ski descents of 13 and 14,000-foot peaks around Colorado, including Capitol Peak.
- Winter ascents of technical 13 and 14,000-foot peaks around Colorado.
- Multiple ascents of Rainer via the Kautz and DC routes.
- Wilderness First Responder
- AIARE Avalanche Level II
- AIARE Avalanche Level I Instructor
- AMGA Certified Rock Guide
- AMGA Alpine Guide Course
- AMGA Ice Instructor Course
- AMGA Ski Guide Course
- AMGA Advanced Ski Guide Course/Aspirant Exam
- AMGA Single Pitch Instructor Course
- AMGA Member
- Leave No Trace Trainer