×

Log In

Or

Register With Us

    *required fields
    • Keep up to date with information about our latest climbs by joining our mailing list. Sign up and we'll keep you informed about new adventures, special offers, competitions, and news.

×
×

Check Availability


Mt. McKinley: Mallory & Team Back to Camp After Retrieving Cache

The clouds cleared last night after dinner and for an hour or so we sat in the evening light at 11 Camp, watching the cloud bank below us race through Kahiltna Pass and over Kahiltna Dome, a peak across the valley from 11 Camp. Unfortunately the improved conditions did not persist and when we woke up this morning we were back in the clouds with a light snow falling. After a quick breakfast we grabbed our nearly empty packs, pulled on our gore-tex shells and goggles, and headed back to our previous camp. As is typical near Kahiltna Pass, where the weather funnels through the low gap in the mountains, the conditions deteriorated with the wind whipping snow by us. But we pushed through it, reaching our old camp at 9200’ before long.

We dug up our food bags and supplies we left cached there yesterday and loaded everything into our packs before setting off back uphill. The knowledge that our warm tents awaited us was good motivation for the team and we motored back to 11 Camp through the wind and blowing snow. When we got back to camp we found our tents starting to sink beneath the accumulating snow so we pulled out the shovels and cleared out camp from the drifted snow. Before long everything looked as it had when we left this morning. We’ve spent the rest of the afternoon hanging out in the tents. The skies have cleared a bit and the sun is managing to poke through every now and again.

We are hoping to carry a cache of supplies to 13,600’ tomorrow but the conditions are looking questionable. There are a few teams here that have been waiting for a few days to do the same thing but haven’t because of the weather. Unfortunately the forecast for tomorrow looks like more of the same, but we’re keeping our fingers crossed anyways.

RMI Guide Linden Mallory


Comments (9)

Wow!  Talk about a bucket list item. Send some of that cold weather our way.  I’ll say a prayer that the weather cooperates.

Posted by: Ric G on

Remember what Ed Viesturs says: Getting to the top is optional.  Getting down is mandatory.

Posted by: g3niusgirl on

Waiting can be so hard! Hang in there.  Sending good weather thoughts your way.  Keep up the posts.  It helps us to wait it out with you.

Posted by: John and Lorraine Lorenc on

Blog is great.  Tx for keeping us informed.

Posted by: Tom Biuso on

It has been great to be able to read along with this blog to feel a little bit more connected.  Hiking down to 9200’ and then back up again sounded like a really long day!  Keep up the good work.

Posted by: Erin on

This is absolutely wonderful being able to follow the progress of this Team’s climb!!! I look forward each day to reading your updates. Thank you Linden.

Posted by: Larry Swedbergh on

Just returned home to 114 degrees in sunny Tucson. Wow, what a contrast to your world! Sending good weather thoughts your way. Sounds like you have plenty of company at 11 Camp. Good luck tomorrow guys.

Posted by: Laurie M on

Linden, thank you so much for this evening’s update. It was such a pleasant surprise to hear you are all back to 11,200 safe and sound!
A postcard arrived from Alaska today…so beautiful   :-)

Posted by: laurie Colaneri on

We are praying that the weather is good enough to continue on.  If not a rest day is in order.  Thanks for the updates.  Keep up the good work.

Posted by: John and Lorraine Lorenc on

Leave a comment for the team

* required fields

More to Explore

Mt. Rainier: Summit - June 27th!

June 27, 2011

Mt. McKinley: Haugen & Team Cache Gear by Washburn’s Thumb

June 27, 2011


Mt Rainier Weather
Broken clouds

Sign up for Expedition Dispatches

check the Summit Registry try our Adventure Finder
Back to Top

Sign up for our Newsletter

    *required fields
    • Keep up to date with information about our latest climbs by joining our mailing list. Sign up and we'll keep you informed about new adventures, special offers, competitions, and news.
      privacy policy

Thank you for subscribing to the RMI Expeditions Newsletter!

While you're at it, you can sign up some of our other mailings as well:

Please choose the programs you'd like updates on: