×

Log In

Need an RMI account? Create an account

Register With Us

Already have an account?

*required fields

The password must meet the following criteria:

  • At least 8 characters
  • At least 1 lowercase letter
  • At least 1 uppercase letter
  • At least 1 number
  • At least 1 symbol (allowed symbols: !?@#$%^&/*()[]{}><,.+-=;)

Keep up to date with information about our latest climbs by joining our mailing list. Sign up and we'll keep you informed about new adventures, special offers, competitions, and news.
Privacy Policy

×
×

Check Availability

RMI Logo

Denali Expedition: Walter & Team Ready for Move to 17,200 Camp

Sunday, May 30, 2021 - 4:34 pm PT

The storm finally blew itself out last night at 14k, and we woke to a light breeze and partly cloudy skies. Winds persisted up high and, after an early breakfast, we decided to pump the breaks on moving camp today. The next few days look good in terms of wind, so we’re gunning to move to High Camp tomorrow and hopefully having a shot at the summit.

Over 100 climbers moved or carried up the fixed lines today, making for a heinous traffic jam that we wanted no part of; this is the first big push of the season, as many teams have stacked up waiting for a weather window. If the weather cooperates we plan to get an early (and cold) start tomorrow, with hopes of getting to 17,200’, building camp, and having enough time to recover for a potential summit bid the next day. The weather and the mountain are in control here, though, and we’ll adjust to whatever is thrown our way. We’ll be in touch tomorrow.

RMI Guide Mike Walter


Comments (5)

We are all hoping for the window to open for you guys. Up-up to the top!!  Good Climbing Y’all.  Vt. Is thinking of you.  N. & P.

Posted by: Sandy on

Fantastic news to hear that the weather has cleared!  We’re hoping for continued good spirits, clear skies and a smooth route to the top.  Good luck from Vermont!  Stay safe y’all.

Posted by: Tracy Wilhelm on

We’re all wishing you a successful summit!
Tak’em to the top Walter!

Posted by: Dennis Kinsey on

We’re rooting for a successful and safe summit!!  The stars should be aligned after the struggles you’ve been through!! Go for it Tom!!!

Posted by: LuAnn Kinsey on

Woo hoo!!!! Good luck :)

Posted by: Margaret on

Leave a comment for the team

* required fields

More to Explore

Denali Expedition: Frank & Team Continue to Wait out the Weather

May 30, 2021

Mt. Rainier: Dale, Hoch & Teams Reach Summit

May 31, 2021

Filter By:

Sign up for Expedition Dispatches

check the Summit Registry try our Adventure Finder alerts for 2025 RAINIER DATES
Back to Top

Sign up for our Newsletter

Image of Mt Rainier
    *required fields
    • Keep up to date with information about our latest climbs by joining our mailing list. Sign up and we'll keep you informed about new adventures, special offers, competitions, and news.
      privacy policy

Thank you for subscribing to the RMI Expeditions Newsletter!

While you're at it, you can sign up some of our other mailings as well:

Please choose the programs you'd like updates on: