Ben grew up in Colorado and has been playing in the mountains since his parents stuck him on skis at age 2. He studied Biology and Chemistry while at college in Gunnison, served as both the Training Coordinator and a Mission Coordinator for Western Mountain Rescue Team, and guided college students on climbing, skiing, and mountain biking trips for Wilderness Pursuits, where eventually he became the Assistant Manager.
For several years, Ben was a full-time Ski Patroller in the winters, and in the summers guided climbing in the Pacific Northwest and Alaska, including multiple ascents of Denali and Mt. Rainier, as well as many peaks in the North Cascades. Ben now lives in Crested Butte, CO year-round and guides year-round. He specializes in climbing and skiing, but also guides mountain biking and rafting. Ben still spends several months in Washington guiding his favorite routes on Mt. Rainier and in the North Cascades.
When he isn’t guiding, you’ll likely find Ben rock climbing in the sun, skiing his favorite powder stash, or on a remote rafting trip with his wife and their 2 dogs.
- 40+ summits and 5 ski descents of Mt. Rainier via 10 different routes
- 2 guided summits of Denali, Alaska
- Multiple ice climbing ascents all around Colorado
- Rock climbing in Colorado, Utah, Washington, Nevada, and Oregon up to Grade V, 5.12, A3
- Alpine climbing in Colorado and Washington and up to 20,000’ in Peru and Alaska
- Ski descents in Colorado, Washington, and Utah
- 7 years as a member of Western Mountain Rescue Team
- Wilderness EMT
- AMGA-certified Alpine Guide
- AMGA-certified Rock Guide
- AGMA-assistant Ski Guide
- American Avalanche Association Pro 2 Avalanche
- AIARE Avalanche Course Leader
- NOLS Administrative Risk Management Course
- Colorado National Guard Helicopter Hoist Rescue Technician
- Leave No Trace Trainer