Ben was born and raised in Colorado, where his parents taught him to ski at 2 years old. He started climbing regularly when he began attending college at Western Colorado University in Gunnison, Colorado. Ben earned a degree in Environmental Biology and Ecology with a minor in Chemistry, was a Lead Instructor for Wilderness Pursuits, and joined the Western Mountain Rescue Team. After graduating, Ben stayed at Western as the Assistant Manager of Wilderness Pursuits, training new instructors and developing new trips.
Ben still spends winters in Gunnison, working as a ski patroller at Monarch Mountain and teaching avalanche courses, and he remains an active member of the Western Mountain Rescue Team. When he isn’t working, he can be found climbing, skiing, or rafting around Colorado, the Southwest, and the Pacific Northwest.
- 20+ summits and 2 ski descents of Mt. Rainier via 7 different routes
- 1 summit of Denali, Alaska
- Multiple ice climbing ascents all around Colorado
- Rock climbing in Colorado, Utah, Washington, Nevada, and Oregon up to Grade V, 5.11, A3
- Alpine climbing in Colorado and Washington and up to 20,000’ in Peru and Alaska
- Ski descents in Colorado, Washington, and Utah
- 7 years as a member of Western Mountain Rescue Team
- Wilderness EMT
- AMGA Rock Guide Course
- American Avalanche Association Pro 1 Avalanche
- AIARE Avalanche Course Instructor
- NOLS Administrative Risk Management Course
- Colorado National Guard Helicopter Hoist Rescue Technician
- Leave No Trace Trainer