Ben Ammon was born and raised in Colorado, where his parents taught him to ski at 2 years old. He started climbing regularly when he began attending college at Western State Colorado University in Gunnison, Colorado. Ben studied Environmental Biology and Ecology with a minor in Chemistry, was a Lead Instructor for Wilderness Pursuits, and joined the Western Mountain Rescue Team. After graduating, Ben stayed at Western as the Assistant Manager of Wilderness Pursuits, training new instructors and developing new trips.
Ben still spends winters in Gunnison, working as a ski patroller at Monarch Mountain, and he remains an active member of the Western Mountain Rescue Team. When he isn’t working, he prefers climbing, skiing, or rafting around Colorado or Utah.
- Multiple Ice Climbing ascents all around Colorado
- Rock Climbing in Colorado and Utah up to Grade V, 5.11, A3
- Alpine Climbing in Colorado and up to 20,000’ in Peru
- Ski descents in Colorado and Utah
- 5 years as a member of Western Mountain Rescue Team
- Wilderness First Responder
- Outdoor Emergency Care Technician
- AIARE Level II Avalanche Course
- Swiftwater Rescue Technician
- NOLS Administrative Risk Management Course
- Colorado National Guard Helicopter Hoist Rescue Technician
- Leave No Trace Trainer