Calvin grew up in Salt Lake City, Utah, surrounded by mountains and mentors. By running cross country in high school, Calvin quickly developed a love of breathing heavily for a long time. Living in Salt Lake exposed him to inspiring local athletes and mountain guides, and this motivated Calvin to pursue work and recreation in the outdoors. Calvin stayed in Utah for college, graduating from the University of Utah with a degree in “International Outdoor Leadership,” which he designed himself.
Leading trips since high school, Calvin has guided backcountry skiing in the Wasatch Mountains, rock climbing all over Southern Utah, canyoneering in Escalante, as well as being an instructor for the University of Utah Canyoneering Program. He has guided in Taiwan and Honduras, and believes recreation is a great excuse for travel.
Calvin lives for the “weird” adventures… going to the unorthodox places on the map. He appreciates that every outdoor experience is only as good as the people who are on it.
- Mt. Rainier, Washington (14,410')
- Completed the Wasatch Ultimate Ridge Linkup (WURL)
- Summited every 13’er in Utah in a single push
- Numerous ski descents of classic lines in Utah and Wyoming
- Ski expeditions to remote Utah ranges like the Deep Creeks, Henrys, and Stansbury Mountains
- Hundreds of canyoneering descents in the Western US, including multi-day expeditions to remote slots
- Dozens of multipitch rock climbs up to 5.10 Grade IV in Nevada, Idaho, Utah, Colorado, California, Taiwan, and Mexico
- Wilderness First Responder
- AIARE Pro 1 Avalanche Certification
- Avalanche Rescue Technician Certification
- AMGA Rock Guide Course
- AMGA SPI certified
- Advanced Rope Rescue Technician Certification
- American Canyoneering Association (ACA) Canyon Leader Course
- Canyoneering instructor for the ACA