Sam grew up in Keene, New Hampshire where he developed a love for the outdoors at a young age. His early experiences in backpacking, snowboarding and climbing in the White Mountains inspired him to venture into larger mountains. Sam is a graduate from the University of Utah, where he studied Outdoor Recreation and Environmental Sustainability. During his time in school, he worked as a senior trip leader for his outdoor program which is focused on introducing students to various forms of human-powered recreation. He feels strongly that outdoor experiences promote self-efficacy, purpose, and personal growth.
During the winter, Sam is a splitboard guide and avalanche educator in the Wasatch Range of Utah. In his free time, Sam can be found canyoneering, rafting, and climbing in Utah’s desert.
- 9+ Summits of Mount Rainier via The Kautz, Ingraham Direct, and Disappointment Cleaver
- Multiple summits of Mount Baker via the North Ridge, and Easton Glacier
- Mount Shuksan via the Fisher Chimneys
- Splitboard descent of Mount Rainier via The Kautz Glacier
- Rock and ice climbing in New Hampshire, Utah, Colorado, Washington, Wyoming, Idaho, and California
- Splitboard mountaineering in Wyoming, Idaho, and Utah including a first descent on Storm Mountain, Big Cottonwood Canyon
- Wilderness First Responder
- American Avalanche Institute Professional Level 1
- Leave No Trace Master Educator
- High Angle Rope Rescue Technician