Growing up in Hood River, Oregon, nordic ski racing and free skiing led to being totally hooked on the mountains. In high school, Leif and his friends would ski up after class, sleep in a tent up on Mt Hood, and then ski down and try not to be late for school in the morning. Skiing has continued as Leif’s motivation to explore the mountains and push himself to bigger adventures.
Leif attended several universities before graduating from University of Mont Blanc in France with a degree in outdoor sports design. Leif is currently the youngest member of The Crag Rats, the oldest mountain rescue team in the United States.
When not in the mountains, Leif enjoys sailing, surfing, windsurfing, and mountain biking in the Columbia Gorge.
- 20+ Mt Hood Summits/Ski Descents (Pearly Gates, Wy’East Face, Devils Kitchen Headwall, Yokum Ridge attempt)
- 3 summits Mt Adams (various routes and ski descents)
- multiple summits of Mt Rainier via DC Route
- 2 Denali Summits via West Buttress (Ski descent via Orient Express and Messner Couloir along with other ski lines)
- Ski Mountaineering 2 seasons in Wasatch, UT
- Ski Mountaineering 1 season in French Alps (Mont Blanc and Aravis Massif)
- AIARE Level 2 Avalanche
- Wilderness First Responder/CPR
- Leave No Trace Trainer