Pete Van Deventer
Pete is a senior guide with RMI. He began guiding for RMI Expeditions in 2008, and guides full seasons in Alaska, Washington, and internationally. Pete lives in Aspen, Colorado, where he guides, teaches avalanche courses, and is a ski instructor.
He grew up at the base of Mt. Mansfield in Vermont. A competitive nordic skier, Pete has spent much of the rest of his time hiking, climbing, and backcountry skiing through the Green and White Mountains of Vermont and New Hampshire. He has traveled throughout Europe, while living in Norway and France.
Pete graduated Dartmouth College with a degree in Environmental Studies.
- 119 ascents of Mt. Rainier via 5 routes
- 11 expeditions to Denali
- 5 expeditions to Aconcagua, Argentina
- 5 expeditions to the Northside of Mt. Elbrus, Russia
- Mt. Baker via the North Ridge, Coleman-Deming, and Easton Glacier routes
- Mt. Shuksan via the Sulphide Glacier route.
- Sahale Peak
- Huayna Potosi and Illimani, Bolivia
- 2012 Sail and Ski expedition to the Lofoten Islands, Norway, 2018 Sail and Ski expedition to Finnmark, Norway
- Ski mountaineering descents in France, Switzerland, Colorado, and Utah, and a traverse of the Haute Route, Chamonix, France to Zermatt, Switzerland
- Rock climbs across the Western US, New England, and Norway
- Wilderness First Responder
- Pro 1 Avalanche certified
- AIARE Level I Avalanche Instructor
- AMGA Apprentice Ski guide
- American Avalanche Association Professional Member
- Level 3 PSIA ski instructor, and PSIA RM Ed staff member
- Leave No Trace Trainer