Remembering Luke Wilhelm
On March 6, 2022, RMI Guide Luke Wilhelm was killed in a fall on the North Face of Colonial Peak in Washington’s North Cascades.
Luke began his guiding career with RMI in 2018. Since that time, he guided ascents of Mt. Rainier, Mt. Baker, Mt. Shuksan, Denali, and Aconcagua.
He is best described in these words from a previous climber, “Luke’s ever-positive attitude, patience, and genuine servant’s-heart is observable without exception, …”. Luke impacted all of us with his smile, compassion, zest for life, and love of hip hop and yerba maté. He was a light among the RMI family and his presence will be deeply missed.
- 20+ summits of Mount Rainier
- Summit of Denali via the West Buttress
- 2 summits Aconcagua via the Ruta Normal
- Ski descents across New Mexico, Colorado, Utah, Wyoming, and Washington
- Ski mountaineer races across Colorado and Utah
- Rock, Ice, & Alpine climbs across Colorado, Washington, Utah, Wyoming, and New Hampshire
- Wilderness First Responder
- American Avalanche Institute Professional Level I
- AMGA Alpine Skills Course
- LNT Master Educator Instructor