High Winds Force RMI Team To SpendsExtra Day at Camp 1

Posted by: | January 19, 2010
Categories: *Expedition Dispatches *Aconcagua
Elevation: 16,400 ft.

Yesterday the weather deteriorated during the afternoon, wind picked up to 30 mph and clouds bringing snow arrived. It was the first time that we were forced to have dinner inside the tents. The weather this morning improved a lot at Camp 1, but we could see how hard the wind was blowing by the spin drift. The weather forecast that we got last night for the next few days estimates that the strong winds at 18,000’ would continue until this evening and then they will drop significantly. So we decided to spend an extra day at Camp 1 today and to avoid moving camp in these windy conditions. Now, the afternoon conditions at Camp 1 are very nice, so hopefully we are enjoying the beginning of the good weather window that the forecast is calling.

Tomorrow we will move to Camp 2 and then rest a day there.

405 views

Comments

Be the first to leave a comment.

Leave a comment for the team


* required fields