×

Log In

Or

Register With Us

    *required fields
    • Keep up to date with information about our latest climbs by joining our mailing list. Sign up and we'll keep you informed about new adventures, special offers, competitions, and news.

×
×

Check Availability

Entries By taylor bickford


Denali Expedition: Van Deventer & Team Waiting for Weather Window to Fly On

Wednesday, May 23, 2018

Well, we have checked all of our boxes to take off, but we weren’t able to track down flyable weather to get us in to Base Camp on Denali. Fog rolled in first thing this morning on the glacier landing strip, and we spent the day on standby, waiting for it to clear. Instead, moisture continued to stream into the Alaska range, and rain came off and on to Talkeetna. With a lot of daylight up here this time of year, our flying window is long, and we stuck it out until 8pm, when we finally accepted another night in town and checked into the hotel again. What do you do on a standby day in Talkeetna? Nap in the hanger, download more movies, chat, and explore the curio shops on Main Street, ready to drop everything and run back to the hanger at a moment’s notice should things clear. All of that is punctuated by frequent trips to the coffee shop. We’ll enjoy another night in a bed and wake up tomorrow to see what the weather gives us. This is the game that we are playing in Alaska!

RMI Guides Pete Van Deventer, Jess Matthews, Taylor Bickford, and team

Leave a Comment For the Team (2)

Rich Lewis we are all here pulling for you! Wishing your team great weather and an epic adventure! Love you!

Posted by: Susie Lewis on 5/25/2018 at 6:27 am

Good luck to our friend Steve Dietz and the entire team! Hope Base Camp was accomplished and you are moving up.

Posted by: Paul & Susan Cambon on 5/25/2018 at 3:03 am


Denali Expedition: Van Deventer & Team Prep in Talkeenta

Our day in Talkeenta progressed at a pretty leisurely pace. We started off with our orientation at the National Park Service after a visit to the coffee shop, and followed that with brunch at the Talkeetna Roadhouse, lest old traditions fail. Then it was into gear: double checking everything we brought, sorting, and packing for the plane flight to Kahiltna Base Camp. With our bags weighed and stacked, ready to be loaded into the Otters, we have done all we can do. It’s in the hands of the pilots and weather now. We will head out to town for dinner, and hope to wake up to clear skies and flying weather!

We’ll keep you posted,
RMI Guides Pete Van Deventer, Jess Matthews, Taylor Bickford, and team

Leave a Comment For the Team (2)

You will see majesty at it’s best and definitely understand the creation set before each step of the way to the top! It will be a few weeks of amazing discoveries.  Know that you have prayers being sent out for you from So. California.  Love and Hugs!  (Danny’s parents)

Posted by: Karen Haleen on 5/23/2018 at 6:23 am

Good luck!  We will be watching your progress.

Posted by: Kristi and Jill Snow on 5/23/2018 at 5:27 am


Mt. Rainier: Kautz Seminar Team On Summit!

RMI Guide Walter Hailes and the Expedition Skills Seminar - Kautz July 30 - 4 August, 2017 reached the summit of Mt. Rainier today.  After several days of training in Ashford and on the mountain the team left their High Camp this morning en route to the summit of Mt. Rainier.  The team arrived at Columbia Crest around 5 am and enjoyed the views from the summit before starting their descent.  Today is the last day of their program and they will return to the trail head and back to Rainier BaseCamp this afternoon.

Congratulations to the Kautz Seminar team!

Leave a Comment For the Team

Mt. Rainier: Five Day Summit Climb Enjoys Views from the Summit

The Five Day Summit Climb July 6 - 10, 2017 enjoyed beautiful weather during their time on Mt. Rainier.  Their five day program concludes today with them reaching the summit of Mt. Rainier.  They will return to Rainier BaseCamp this afternoon for a bit of celebration.

Congratulations to the Five Day Summit Climb team!

Leave a Comment For the Team

Mt. Rainier: Four Day Summit Climb Unable to Make Summit Attempt

The Four Day Summit Climb team for June 15 - 18, 2017 was unable to make a summit attempt of Mt. Rainier this morning due to inclement weather.  The team will descend to Paradise this afternoon and return to Rainier BaseCamp.

Leave a Comment For the Team
Filter By:

Sign up for Expedition Dispatches

check the Summit Registry try our Adventure Finder
Back to Top

Sign up for our Newsletter

    *required fields
    • Keep up to date with information about our latest climbs by joining our mailing list. Sign up and we'll keep you informed about new adventures, special offers, competitions, and news.
      privacy policy

Thank you for subscribing to the RMI Expeditions Newsletter!

While you're at it, you can sign up some of our other mailings as well:

Please choose the programs you'd like updates on:

\