×

Log In

Or

Register With Us

    *required fields
    • Keep up to date with information about our latest climbs by joining our mailing list. Sign up and we'll keep you informed about new adventures, special offers, competitions, and news.

×
×

Check Availability

Entries By robby young


Denali Expedition: Walter & Team Have Another Great Day

Wednesday, May 23, 2018 - 5:21 PM PT

Our Denali team had another great day today as we carried supplies up to establish a cache around Windy Corner (~13,700’). The weather was perfect, with scattered clouds keeping the temps pleasant throughout the day. The climbing conditions we also perfect, with great, consistent névé for cramponing. In fact, the whole route so far has been in great shape.
Now we are back at our 11k camp, where we are lounging around, eating, and rehydrating. Tomorrow we are planning to take our first full rest day, as we need to recover and get used to the altitude before we move up to 14,200’

RMI Guide Mike Walter

On The Map

Leave a Comment For the Team (2)

It is so great to have the updates! Lou and I send tons of support!

Posted by: Marge bartolini on 5/24/2018 at 10:29 am

So happy you are having good weather.  Looks very cold, but sunny.  Stay safe and look forward to your return.

Posted by: Marilyn Riede on 5/24/2018 at 9:15 am


Denali Expedition: Walter & Team Making Good Progress

Tuesday, May 22, 2018 - 7:45 PM PT

Another day of beautiful weather let us descend back down to ~10,200’ to dig up our cache of supplies and haul it back up to our 11,000’ camp. The rest of the day was spent hydrating, resting, and preparing for the next step of this climb: establishing a cache at ~13,700’, just past Windy Corner. If the weather holds, that will be our plan for tomorrow.
We’re making good progress now, and we are all excited to exchange snowshoes for crampons and trekking poles for ice axes. Stay tuned as our progress continues.

RMI Guide Mike Walter

On The Map

Leave a Comment For the Team (2)

Mike,
I hope the weather Gods are good to you this year. If you have room in your packs going down, rather than throw all that valuable stool down a crevasse, ship some to me for my fecal transplants. Business is booming.
Buenas suerte amigo.

Posted by: Dr Dave on 5/23/2018 at 5:40 pm

Hello Dave Head, Shane Kidd and Team hello from Las Vegas we love you guys so proud and love you stay safe we will continue to pray for your safety and good weather KEEP ROCKING !! you got his.

Love Mom and Dad #2

Posted by: Ken peterson on 5/23/2018 at 1:42 pm


Denali Expedition: Walter & Team Move to 11,200 Camp

Monday, May 21, 2018 - 11:51 PM PT

Our upward progress on Denali continues, this time moving camp up to 11,200’. Snow and weather conditions were near perfect with scattered clouds, a few snow flakes, and a light breeze to keep us cool.
Now that we’ve established a nice camp here, our plan is to go back to 10,000’  tomorrow to pick up our cache of supplies; this will set us up for moving up onto the upper mountain. Everyone is doing well and we’re hoping the good weather continues.

RMI Guide Mike Walter

On The Map

Leave a Comment For the Team (2)

Alex and Tom we are so proud of you. Keep up the incredible work and wishing you all the best :-)
Love Amy & Phil

Posted by: Amy and Phil on 5/24/2018 at 12:17 pm

Hi James,

I hope you’re enjoying Denali! Looks like an awesome trip.

Kevin

Posted by: Kevin O’Donnell on 5/23/2018 at 11:03 am


Denali: Walter & Team Set Up Camp at the Base of Ski Hill

Sunday, May 20, 2018 - 1:12 a.m. PDT

The squirrely weather persists on Denali. It snowed all night last night, but fortunately we only picked up 4 inches or so. We woke up to more snow, wind, and very limited visibility. After breakfast we slowly started to pack up camp, hoping the weather would improve. Around noon the weather finally improved so we packed up our tents and rigged up our ropes.

By the time we were ready to walk, the weather was back its former, stormy self. We decided to give it a try and if conditions worsened we would make camp down on the Kahiltna Glacier and at least make some progress on the mountain. It was a good call because we made it all the way to Camp 2, at the base of Ski Hill (7,800’). We were in a ping pong ball most of the day—navigating using the wands marking the route, faint traces of other parties’ tracks, GPS, and a little Braille (well, maybe not Braille). Our navigation techniques worked and we cruised into camp in 5 hours flat!

Tomorrow the plan is to carry and cache supplies higher on the route and then return to our current camp. This will make for lighter loads when we move camp later this week and will help our acclimatization process.

RMI Guide Mike Walter and team

On The Map

Leave a Comment For the Team (2)

Thinking about you Alex, Tom, and team.  So happy to hear you are safe and making progress, thx for the updates!

Posted by: Sarah Flynn on 5/21/2018 at 7:22 am

Nice action photo, Thank you!  Glad to learn that Team Water is now underway. My best wishes to the entire team, and a special Hello to Tom M -you’re all in my thoughts.
Stay safe, stay strong & thrive.

Posted by: Jacquie on 5/21/2018 at 12:26 am


Denali: Walter & Team have landed at Base Camp!

The weather cleared up just long enough for K2 Aviation to fly our team to Base Camp in two de Haviland Otter airplanes. The window didn’t last long and soon it socked in and began to lightly snow. We set up camp and lounged around for the rest of the afternoon. Tomorrow the plan is to pack up and move camp to the base of Ski Hill.

Cheers,
RMI Guide Mike Walter & Team

Leave a Comment For the Team (2)

That is one Helluva “Ski Hill” . My wife JoAnn and I overnighted in Talkeetna with K2 Aviation and took a flight up to Denali over the dramatically crevassed glaciers in 1993. JoAnn then went back as a Cruise ship excursion in 2000 with her three sisters. Looking up is as close to climbing in Ice and snow as I want to be, although I summitted Mt Whitney in 1986 on Father’s Day ant took a photo with a banner I had made saying “Happy Fathers Day” to give to my father. I piloted a Cessna 172 from Torrence, CA with two other “Climbers” for that “Attempt”. We had tried in May, a month before, but were chased off the mountain after one night in a tent by a major snowstorm. Hopefully you get good weather so you can have views up there. We all look forward to more from you.

Posted by: Paul Claeyssens on 5/20/2018 at 6:02 am

Go for it and be safe.

Posted by: Garland Dobson (PAPPY) on 5/19/2018 at 3:44 pm


Denali: Walter & Team Partake in a Trial Run

The weather in Alaska is still unsettled, and our team remains on standby for clearing skies and a chance to fly into the Alaska Range. The weather improved for a bit this morning and we packed up the planes, two de Havilland Otters, donned our climbing clothes and boots, and loaded up the planes. But before we even got going, we received word that the weather shut down and snow had returned to Base Camp.
So now we are back to the Talkeetna hang as we wait for conditions to improve. We are all eager to start this expedition, but we realize that patience is imperative, as the weather is out of our control. This patience with the weather will be important to maintain throughout this entire trip; I’ll bet we see more of it over the next few weeks.
I’ll keep you posted if we get to fly this afternoon and, if not, then we’ll play the game again tomorrow.

RMI Guide Mike Walter

Leave a Comment For the Team

Mike Walter & Team Kick Off the RMI Denali Season!

We are kicking off RMI’s 2018 Denali climbing season. Our team met in Anchorage on Monday afternoon and traveled north to the small town of Talkeetna. Yesterday was a busy day of packing gear and preparing for our expedition, including a trip to the National Park Service to register our group and have a pre-trip orientation.
With our bags packed and weighed for loading onto the glacier planes, we’re all set for our adventure. Currently there is some stormy weather that is not allowing airplanes to access the Alaska Range, so we’re in a holding pattern until we get a clearing. We will keep you up to speed with the team’s status.

RMI Guide Mike Walter

On The Map

Leave a Comment For the Team (2)

Wishing Dave, Shane, and the rest of the team a fun and safe trip!

Josh and Chance

Posted by: Josh and Chance on 5/19/2018 at 4:46 pm

David and Shane…We wish you all an amazing and safe venture!! Stay safe. We can’t wait to hear all about it!! Love you to pieces..        Ken and Dean

Posted by: Dean and Ken on 5/18/2018 at 7:30 pm


Mt. Rainier: September 25th Update

The Mt. Rainier Summit Climb teams, led by RMI Guides Casey Grom and Robby Young, turned due to snow and route conditions.  The team was back to Camp Muir at 7:55 a.m.  They will spend about an hour there and then begin their descent to Paradise.

Leave a Comment For the Team (2)

Is Cory Prykull part of this expedition?  Of so, good luck Cory!  We are all hoping you make it to the summit!

Posted by: Karen Prykull on 9/26/2017 at 8:37 am

Checking if this is the group that Layton Petersen is a part of to follow his progress and experience

Posted by: harry petersen on 9/26/2017 at 8:17 am


Mt. Rainier: RMI Guides and Teams Reach the Summit!

The Four Day Summit Climb September 6 - 9 teams led by RMI Guides Casey Grom and Robby Young reached the summit of Mt. Rainier this morning.  The guides reported winds along the crater rim but calm conditions for the lower elevations. The teams starter their descent from the crater rim around 7:30 am en route to Camp Muir.

Congratulations to today’s Summit Climb Teams!

Leave a Comment For the Team (2)

Congratulation. Well done. Wish all of you a safe return.

Posted by: Pravin Kapadia on 9/9/2017 at 11:22 am

Woo hoo!!! Nice job, team!! A well deserved victory!! Can’t wait to see photos from the top of that beast!

Make it down safe!

Posted by: Jen on 9/9/2017 at 8:27 am


Mt. Rainier: September 5th Climb Reached the top of Disappointment Cleaver

Today’s Four Day Summit Climb team led by RMI Guides Solveig Waterfall and Robby Young reached the top of Disappointment Cleaver. With the warm temperatures and smoke from wildfires burning in Western Washington, the team chose to make this this high point of the day.  The team has departed Camp Muir and are on their descent to Paradise.

Leave a Comment For the Team
Next Page
Filter By:

Sign up for Expedition Dispatches

check the Summit Registry try our Adventure Finder
Back to Top

Sign up for our Newsletter

    *required fields
    • Keep up to date with information about our latest climbs by joining our mailing list. Sign up and we'll keep you informed about new adventures, special offers, competitions, and news.
      privacy policy

Thank you for subscribing to the RMI Expeditions Newsletter!

While you're at it, you can sign up some of our other mailings as well:

Please choose the programs you'd like updates on:

\