Entries By ben luedtke
August 29, 2021
RMI Guide James Bealer led his team to the summit of Mt. Baker this morning! The route was steep and icy making for a challenging day but everyone was up to the task. They are four days into their six-day program where they are also receiving their credentials for the Leave No Trace Master Educator Course.
August 9, 2021
At 7:50 a.m. RMI Guide Pete Van Deventer radioed from the highest point in Washington, Columbia Crest on Mt. Rainier! It’s a clear day, light winds and a good route. After the the team walked back across the crater, they began their descent at 8:30 a.m.
Congratulations to today's summit climbers!
August 4, 2021
The Four Day Climb August 1 - 4, led by RMI Guide Casey Grom reached the summit of Mt. Rainier just before 6 am today. The team reported a beautiful, sunny day with a light breeze. The team began their descent from the crater rim just after 7 am. Once back at Camp Muir they will continue down to Paradise and return to Rainier BaseCamp for a little celebration before concluding their adventure.
Congratulations to all the climbers!
Congratulations to all. What an amazing achievement & experience!
Posted by: Anne on 8/7/2021 at 4:31 am
Wow,....Bravo!!! Great achievement team members!!
Posted by: Jyoti kulkarni on 8/4/2021 at 10:23 am
August 1, 2021
This morning RMI Guides Dave Hahn and Alex Halliday led their teams to the top of Mt. Rainier! The weather is cloudy and smoky from some wildfires up north. The team began their descent from the crater rim at 9:25 a.m.
Congrats! I heard the ladder crossing was out the day before..assuming it has been repaired now? Gaining the cleaver is not too difficult now? Im planning a climb tomorrow.
Posted by: Isaiah R on 8/1/2021 at 10:40 pm
I’m so thankful for experienced guides who monitored conditions diligently and kept in communication about the bridge status. Congrats to all!!
Posted by: Jill Follett on 8/1/2021 at 2:58 pm
July 25, 2021
Congratulations to the Four Day Climb July 22 - 25 on reaching the summit of Mt. Rainier today! Clear skies accompanied these teams led by RMI Guides Casey Grom and Devin Wilkinson, to the summit early this morning. After enjoying some time on top they begain their descent from the crater rim aroun 6:15 am. These climbers will continue their descent to Paradise today and conclude their adventure with a celebration at Rainier BaseCamp.
Nice work team!
We fairly flew up the mountain, thanks to expert leadership by our guides. We topped out on the rim of the summit crater in darkness, crossed it in first light, and arrived at the Columbia Crest into the new day. Was the sensation delight, madness, glee, relief, or some combination, to watch our great ball of fire emerge out of the noblest peak in the ring of fire? Rainier’s perfect trapezoid shadow formed in the morning haze to the west, just north of a nearly perfect lunar orb, while summiteers snapped selfies. Casey had brought a new register book, which we had the honor to be among the first to sign (the full one he brought down to return to the NPS rangers). At “Register Rock” we huddled to inscribe our names, though really it was the mountain inscribing itself on us!
Posted by: Lisa Fernandez on 7/26/2021 at 9:37 pm
Congratulations! I cannot wait to hear about the awesome effort and adventure.
Posted by: Joy Moretti on 7/25/2021 at 8:46 am
July 7, 2021
Wednesday, July 7, 2021 - 3:24 pm PT
The winds are calm and it's snowing lightly at Denali 14K Camp. Our plan is to pack up camp this afternoon and journey down into the thicker clouds, hopefully making it to Basecamp sometime in the middle of the night. We're not overly optimistic that we'll be able to fly tomorrow...the pilots at K2 Aviation tell us that this weather is supposed to stick around until Saturday. If all goes well we'll at least be in position to fly off the glacier if a clearing presents itself.
We'll let you know how it goes.
Looking forward to you getting back and hearing about your adventure.
Your friends at Modern.
Posted by: Dave Brown on 7/8/2021 at 11:14 am
July 6, 2021
Tuesday, July 6, 2021 - 1:00 pm PT
There's not much new to report today. We're still at 14,000' Camp, waiting for an opportunity to head downhill to the airstrip. Unfortunately we're also still in a snow globe. Apparently it's totally socked in all the way to Talkeetna, with rain in town, so all of the planes are grounded a well. We've got plenty of food and fuel, and we're warm and dry in our camp. The forecast is grim, but we're not desperate, and we'll patiently await a change in the weather.
July 5, 2021
Monday, July 5, 2021 - 1:05 pm PT
We're still hanging at 14,000' Camp, amid snow, wind, and very limited visibility. We're hoping for a little break in the weather so that we can pack up camp and head down around Windy Corner and start our descent. The weather isn't having any of that, though. At this point we're comfy and safe at camp and there's no reason to force a descent into terrible weather. As eager as we are to get to Kahiltna Base Camp, it is not a pressing matter because planes cannot fly (much less land on the glacier) in this weather.
We'll keep you posted on our predicament.
Thinking about you Aaron!!! I love you! Love, sissy
Posted by: Emilee on 7/6/2021 at 2:44 pm
July 5, 2021
Sunday, July 4, 2021 - 10:09 pm PT
The weather has not been cooperating with us lately, and the forecast doesn't look good either. Today was the best day in the forecast period and there were still strong winds up high and a huge lenticular cloud on the summit all day. We took advantage of the "best day" to climb up to 16,400' and retrieve our cache; there's a good chance that we would not be able to retrieve it over the next few days. Tomorrow is day 19 of our trip, and our time is running out. With no potential summit day in the foreseeable future we will likely start our descent tomorrow morning. The weather will determine our descent strategy and timing.
Hello to all and special one to Daryl, prayers to all for a one day out of there without any unstable stuff. Tomorrow maybe only 2 or 3 cm of snow, am following you all safely to the bottom. Stop the snow dance.
Posted by: Pat Everett on 7/7/2021 at 10:17 am
July 3, 2021
Saturday, July 3, 2021 - 1:04 pm PT
We are stationary once again, waiting for any sign in the weather forecast that would indicate a potential good-weather window to move up to high camp and get in place for a summit bid. Today is overcast above us with light wind in camp, but we can still hear the wind up high. It's hard to complain about R & R time, but we're certainly ready for some weather that's more conducive for climbing.
We will check in again soon.
RMI Guide Mike Walter & Team
How are you d ? We miss you ❤️
Posted by: Richard Arnold on 7/4/2021 at 6:32 pm