Aconcagua: Justman & Team Move to Camp 1

Posted by: JJ Justman, Mike King, Steve Gately | January 20, 2014
Categories: *Expedition Dispatches *Aconcagua

There I was, putting one foot in front of the other, over and over and over again. I knew what everyone was thinking. Who’s going to the Super Bowl!! And thanks to one of our team members little go go gadgets, his wife texted the final scores. Go Seahawks! Go Broncos! Who cares, Green Bay isn’t in it.

The team packed up base camp and moved outta base camp. On move days the packs are always heavier loaded with tents and kitchen gear. Everyone did fantastic and we are now settled into our new home at 16,600 feet on Aconcagua. We just finished with some hot soup. It’s like I always say, you have to put money in the bank. We used up some good energy getting here and you have to replenish and put energy back in to keep the bank account at a million bucks.

Speaking of a million bucks, anyone want to place some bets on the Super Bowl!?

RMI Guide JJ Justman

An RMI Team with heavy loads moving to Camp 1 on Aconcagua.  Photo: RMI Collection The view from Camp 1 on Aconcagua.  Photo: RMI Collection

Sign Up For Aconcagua 2014 Email Alerts

Comments

Keeping pushing forward, dad (Lew Smith)!  I know you are doing awesome! So proud of you!!!

Love ya,

Kyle

Posted by: Kyle A. Smith on 1/23/2014 at 8:50 am

Go Diane! from the Nissan TMG team

Posted by: Ed Nicholson on 1/22/2014 at 12:04 pm

Go Diane! From the NISSAN TMG team.

Posted by: Ed Nicholson on 1/22/2014 at 12:02 pm

Go JJ + Mike + Team…+ Broncos…Peyton still has Indiana foloing that includes Peyton Manning Childrens Hospital at St. Vincent / Indy…Yesterday / 20 Jan 2012 our group summitted Aconcagua and the view from Independencia was memorable also…Godspeed Waltero

Posted by: waltero glover on 1/21/2014 at 5:40 am

Hoping the winds stop and you and your team will be able to summit.  Be safe I send my love Mom

Posted by: Darlene Christofferson on 1/21/2014 at 4:37 am

Hey Steve,

Off to Phoenix for a quick business trip. Expecting another foot of snow in Boston. Sounds like all is proceeding well with your team.

Hike well.

Posted by: Bill Gately on 1/21/2014 at 2:45 am

Hey Dad (Randy C),
So glad to hear that everything is going well up on that mountain! I’m so proud of you and every step you take is really an inspiration for everyone.  Seems like everyone is doing well and that is great to hear.  Writing to you from NYC where I am busy cycling away every day! Miss you and love you dad, you’re the man!

xoxo,
Kara

Posted by: Kara Christofferson on 1/20/2014 at 9:14 pm

Hey to Denise Miller.
So what are all those white pillar bumpy things. That is very cool. Bring one home! Yes, would love to hear stuff about the climbers on the trip! Thaat would be very cool. Totally tell Denise I said hi!
Mary Fox

Posted by: mary fox on 1/20/2014 at 8:27 pm

Hi Justin,

I’d love to hear more about the people on the trip….

Posted by: Vivian Busch on 1/20/2014 at 4:36 pm