Mt. McKinley: June 18th Expedition Led by Pete Van Deventer Readies in Talkeenta

Posted by: Pete Van Deventer, Robby Young, Geoff Schellens | June 20, 2013
Elevation: 358'

Wednesday, June 19, 2013
The team is assembled and ready to go! Yesterday, we all stepped off the plane into the fire; both literally and figuratively. Alaska has been experiencing a strong heatwave, and Anchorage was toasty. We also had a lot to get done, buying the rest of our food for the mountain and making the drive to Talkeetna. We settled in to relax for the night, leaving the gear sorting and packing for today.

Now, all of our gear is packed and weighed for the plane, tents have been set up and checked to make sure that they are good to go, and everyone is excited for the flight through the Alaska range. Now we just need the weather to cooperate tomorrow AM long enough to get us onto the mountain! Hopefully we’ll check in from the glacier tomorrow!

Cheers
RMI Guides Pete, Geoff, Robby, and the team

The RMI Mt. McKinley June 18th Expedition Team in Talkeetna, Alaska.  Photo: Pete Van Deventer

Sign Up For Mount McKinley 2013 Email Alerts

Comments

Hola Guapo!
What a nice group picture! You look so happy…what a beautiful place for your third climb!
I’m so proud of you. We will be following you daily. it seems the weather is in your favor.
Love you! we are here cheering you on. I bet you wish there were sherpas and donkeys there!.....:)
XO Guapa

Posted by: marion on 6/22/2013 at 5:57 pm

hey pete have a great climb, stay safe.

Posted by: joshua hoar on 6/21/2013 at 6:14 pm

Looks like a sturdy group! Hope you have a great ascent—-with a full moon coming! Bet that will be incredible!

Posted by: Paula Satt on 6/21/2013 at 4:16 pm

Just found out from your dad that you were making this climb!  Will watch your progress all the way to the top.  Enjoy every step, but make them carefully!  Be safe.
Love, Aunt Rita

Posted by: Rita DeCamp on 6/20/2013 at 6:11 pm

Just found out from your father that you were doing this climb!  So excited for you!!  Enjoy every step and make them carefully!! Be safe!
Love, Aunt Rita

Posted by: Rita DeCamp on 6/20/2013 at 6:09 pm

Hi Pete !

I’ll be following you and the team.  Have a safe climb.

-Larry Seaton

Posted by: Larry Seaton on 6/20/2013 at 4:59 pm

Lindsay, I’m thinking about you on that glacier.
I hope your having fun. Sorry I missed your call.
I’ll see you soon.

Posted by: Tony on 6/20/2013 at 3:40 pm

Sending much Aloha from Maui - GO Gail GO!!!

Posted by: Corey Holmgreen on 6/20/2013 at 3:16 pm

Wyatt,
We have our fingers crossed that everything goes smoothly and the weather cooperates for your amazing adventure. We will be following your progress closely. Positive vibes coming your way from NW Montana!
Marcia and Jim

Posted by: Marcia and Jim Tomlin on 6/20/2013 at 2:25 pm

Tommy, I am so excited you’re there! I am more proud than you can imagine. You give me hope to do this one day myself. I will be anxiously waiting news everyday of your progress.  My love and prayers are with you!
Rhonda

Posted by: Rhonda Kitchen on 6/20/2013 at 12:11 pm

What a wonderful adventure. Gail, we are following your progress here on Kihei. Go girl go!
Diane Parrella

Posted by: Diane Parrella on 6/20/2013 at 11:29 am

We are pulling for you and your whole team Derek Sokoloski. You’re making you uncle very jealous but so proud of you for making these climbs and fulfilling your dreams.
Uncle Jim