Mt. McKinley Expedition: Tyler Jones & Team Arrive in Alaska

Posted by: Garrett Stevens, Tyler Jones | May 29, 2013
Elevation: 248'

Wednesday, May 29, 2013
Greetings from beautiful Talkeetna, Alaska! The team arrived yesterday afternoon with big bags, bigger smiles, and high hopes for our Denali expedition. After a round of introductions, we hit the road and headed north from Anchorage. We stopped for last minute food and supplies in Wasilla, and pulled into town about 8 o’clock last night. We transferred all our luggage into the hangar, had dinner, and headed to bed in anticipation of an early start today.

Our morning started with a delicious breakfast at the roadhouse, and rolled right on into a massive gear sort/pack session at the hangar. The team gear piles started out big but have been trimmed down to nice tight kits for the mountain. This afternoon will be occupied by our briefing with the Park Service and a final round of packing, so we should be in great position to fly tomorrow morning (provided the weather cooperates, of course).

Blue skies and sunshine prevail today, so keep your fingers crossed that the high pressure will hold for tomorrow. More to come, stay tuned!

RMI Guides Tyler Jones & Garrett Stevens

Welcome to Talkeetna, Alaska.  Photo: RMI Collection

Sign Up For Mount McKinley 2013 Email Alerts

Comments

Ty thanks for the birthday wishes. much success to you and your team. love you Pete and Elaine

Posted by: Peter Tobin on 5/30/2013 at 4:18 pm

Jess,

Have an awesome climb!!!! Everything is great at the home front.
To the team,
Have a great climb.

Hector

Posted by: Hector on 5/30/2013 at 3:20 pm

YAY! YAY! YAY! You are on your way! This ND flatlander is just as excited as you all are…well, maaaybe aaalmost as excited :)! Onwards and Upwards! Strength and Safety to the team! High five to my sister, Lori!!!

Posted by: Sue Lopez on 5/30/2013 at 12:56 pm

Great adventure. I’m envious to say the least.  Wish I were with you.  Be safe.

Posted by: Mike Fox on 5/30/2013 at 9:37 am

Tyler, Garrett and team,
Really bummed I am not up there with you!! I hope you have an awesome climb and look forward to following the blog as I yearn for my shot next year.

Posted by: Paul Kinneberg on 5/30/2013 at 8:18 am

Tyler, Garrett, Robin and Team,
Wish you all a safe flight and start to your climb. We will be looking forward to following your blog with updates and looking at photos. Hope you have great weather for the duration. Prayers to all for a safe and successful ascent.

Matt

Posted by: Matt Prosser on 5/30/2013 at 5:08 am

James and Crew ...

I am really looking forward to following your blog and climb.  I want to wish you a safe and successful climb.

Fred