Mt. McKinley: Van Deventer & Team Start toward 17, Then Return

Posted by: Pete Van Deventer, Robby Young, Geoff Schellens | July 02, 2013

Tuesday, July 2, 2013
We had a little bit of a false start here this morning. We woke at 5.30 to clear conditions, and lower winds up above. Altogether, it was a great looking scene, albeit cold; the coldest temps we have seen all trip. We ate a hasty breakfast, and packed camp to move to 17,000’. As we started to walk, clouds began to build, and the winds on the Buttress were rising too. At the base of the fixed lines, we decided that today wasn’t the day to make our move, and we retreated back to 14,200’ to reset camp. A day like today is tough, but we made the right decision, and everyone is in good spirits. We’re hoping that tomorrow morning provides a better opportunity!

Until then, best from Alaska.
RMI Guides Pete, Geoff, Robby, and team

The fixed lines on Mt. McKinley above 14,000 ft.  Photo: Katy Laveck

Sign Up For Mount McKinley 2013 Email Alerts

Comments

Guapo;
sorry to hear you didn’t get to 17,000 today, but it makes me comfortable knowing that your team guides care about your welfare and safety,and won’t take unnecessary risks.
Best of luck tomorrow,rest well
Guapa

Posted by: marion and maya on 7/3/2013 at 9:22 pm

Hey Gail good to hear you guys are getting some exercise up there…I was beginning to worry you were getting lazy.  Ha…kidding of course!  Sounds like yesterday was a long one, but great to hear everyone is doing well and best of luck for a break in the weather.  Happy early 4th of July, stay safe, have fun!! -Becky

Posted by: Becky on 7/3/2013 at 1:06 pm

Good morning, Tommy! Today’s the day! I feel it! I believe it will be a great day to head to High Camp! I hope you had a restful night. Every day I am thinking of how I can be with you on the next climb so we can go through this together. It may seem impossible, but you have shown me the possibilities! As you say “there’s always a way”! Thank you for showing me the way so far. You have great strength, inside and out. Use it to face any challenges that come your way today, tomorrow, and always. You are missed more than you can imagine! Have a blessed day on God’s spectacular landscape! My love and thoughts are with you!
Rhonda

Posted by: Rhonda Kitchen on 7/3/2013 at 7:24 am

Linz- We’re checking on you every day and hoping you get the break to make your move.  I get tears in my eyes when I look at the pix on the blog.  It’s spiritual you know.  I’m wishing I could be there with my old climbing partner.  I’d hate for you to have to take your boots off but you didn’t go all that way to not climb the mountain.  Love you girl.  Poppet.  Mom wants to make you some hot chocolate with whipped cream on top

Posted by: Les Zimmerman on 7/3/2013 at 3:48 am

Wyatt,
I’m glad to hear that everyone is safe today. It’s a bummer you were not able to move up to high camp yet. I’m sure the weather will grant you the opportunity soon! :) I love you and miss you here at home. I keep you in my thoughts and check on your status daily, waiting to see that post about you heading for the summit! I can’t wait to hear all the stories when you come home. Best of luck to you and your team! :)
Xoxoxo, Lindsey.

Posted by: Lindsey Porter on 7/2/2013 at 10:33 pm

Hi Tommy! I’m sorry to hear that you couldn’t move up to High Camp today. I know everyone must be anxious and ready to see the summit. There’s been bad weather on the whole mountain the last couple days according to the other teams. I wish I could hear from you, but I am grateful to be able to leave YOU messages of support and encouragement. I don’t know anyone with more focus, determination, faith, passion, and purpose for their life than you. Stay strong on days like this and know that I am right there with you. You will be celebrating victory at the top very soon. I spoke to your mom today and told her you are well and these weather delays are giving you more rest. Your dad is doing fine and asking how you are. I will call her again in a day or two to inform them on your progress. I am keeping Brandon updated on all that is going on. I believe tomorrow will be the day to move closer to the top. Rest well, I miss you! My prayers and love are with you always.
Rhonda