Axel came of age in the foothills of Colorado where he spent most of his time chasing friends around on mountain bikes and camping with his family. In his later adolescent years he began to discover new ways to experience nature through an outdoor program that taught rock climbing, backpacking, and winter camping. After high school he began leading trips and studying Adventure Education at Fort Lewis College during the school year, and guiding on the Matanuska Glacier in Alaska in the summertime.
Currently Axel is a substitute teacher in a few school districts throughout Colorado, where he frequently deviates from the lesson plan to teach interested students about mountains and adventure. When he isn’t working he enjoys rock climbing, canoe trips, and lots of other outdoor activities that allows him to have a great time with friends.
- Multiple ascents of Mt. Rainier, Washington
- Summits of Mt. Adams and Mt. Shuksan
- Various ascents of 14ers and techinical peaks in Colorado
- Multiple ascents of peaks in the North Cascades and Tatoosh ranges in Washington
- Ice climbing and ski touring in Alaska and Colorado
- Rock climbing throughout North America
- Wilderness First Responder
- AIARE Avalanche Level I and II
- Avalanche Rescue Certification
- AMGA Single Pitch Instructor Course
- Leave No Trace Master Educator