John Michael (JM) grew up in the Southeast, and studied Environmental Biology in the hilly town of Boone, North Carolina. Snow-starved for much of his life, he is now making up for lost time. He currently calls Red Lodge, Montana, home, and regularly enjoys the climbing and skiing opportunities of the Yellowstone region.
JM was attracted to guiding because he wants to share his love for wild places with others. He enjoys playing a small part in a process that allows people to challenge themselves and achieve goals. When not guiding, JM can be found riding his mountain bike, standing in a river pretending he knows how to fly fish, or sniffing out some good snow, all to the tune of twangy bluegrass.
- 35 Summits of Mt. Rainier
- 2 Summits of Denali, AK
- 1 Summit of Aconcagua, Argentina
- 1 Summit of Mt. Elbrus, Russia, via the northside route
- Multiple ascents and ski descents of Mount Rainier, Mt. Adams, and Mt. Baker
- Climb and ski of Mt. Hood and Mt. St. Helens in one day
- Mt. Shuksan via Fisher Chimneys, North Cascades
- Sahale Peak, North Cascades
- Rock and Ice Climbs in North Carolina, Colorado, Montana, Wyoming
- AMGA Rock Guide Course
- Wilderness First Responder
- AIARE Avalanche level II and AIARE level 1 instructor
- Leave No Trace Trainer