Mt. McKinley: Van Deventer & Team Carry Heavy Loads to 9,600’ Camp

Posted by: Pete Van Deventer, Geoff Schellens, Robby Young | June 23, 2013

Saturday, June 22nd, 2013
Greetings from Pete, Geoff, Robby and Team,

Under cool temperatures and partly sunny skies, we moved uphill again this morning from our camp at 7,600’ to 9,600’.  The slopes of Ski Hill offered up our first significant climb of the expedition given our full loads weighing down our packs and our sleds.  After building camp at 9,600’, we continued to lighten our loads and fill our bellies by feasting on soups and Tasty Bite delicacies, followed by some hot beverages and storytelling.  Our team is feeling strong and weather looks accommodating for a move to 11,000’ camp tomorrow morning, where we’ll finally post up for some rest and acclimatization.

RMI Guides Robby, Pete, and Geoff

Pulling sleds up Ski Hill. Photo: RMI Collection

Sign Up For Mount McKinley 2013 Email Alerts

Comments

Aloha Gail,
IMUA, from Kihei Charter.
We are thinking of you and the entire team.
Safe climbing.
Aloha
Gene

Posted by: Gene on 6/26/2013 at 2:35 am

Guapo,
met someone this morning who has also climbed Rainer, and a few others;is climbing Denali in 2015 with his dad and brother. I got his name for you, he’d like to meet you!
I see you have a team member from Kihei!....I bet you wish you were feeling those temps instead, but the views where you are now? They really outshine Kihei!
We miss you and are following your progress. Lots of cheering coming from Facebook
Have a great climb tomorrow
Guapa

Posted by: marion on 6/23/2013 at 7:10 pm

Gail,  We are eating bacon and thinking of you.  Moist bacon.  Jasper wants to know if you get to eat cheese when you climb and if so, is it frozen cheese?
The Kruddens3

Posted by: Stina on 6/23/2013 at 7:01 pm

Tom,
I invited Richard Branson to join you on the South Pole expedition. Good news, Karen said if he says yes, then I can go. Bad news, last time I went camping I complained of the heat. Good news again, that won’t be an issue at the pole. OK, stop smiling and stay focused, safe and enjoy a succesful climb.
PS: Can you imagine if Branson says yes? WOW

Posted by: Brian Cohen on 6/23/2013 at 4:02 pm

Wyatt,
I love you and miss you and hope your having the time of your life! I wish I could be there! We love being able to stalk your progress on the blog! Good to hear the weather is giving ya’ll a chance to climb on and hopefully this trend will continue! Best of luck to everyone!
Xoxo Lindsey

Posted by: Lindsey Porter on 6/23/2013 at 11:13 am

Tommy, it’s wonderful to hear how well everything is going! I don’t think I would be alone in saying I wish I was there with you! Tim, Brian, and Milo, we all wish we were there sharing in the experience! I know that we will one day! I pray for good weather and great progress today. Your strength gives strength! Thank you! Much love and blessings from New York!
Rhonda