Entries By paul edgren
July 4, 2013
Posted by: Billy Nugent
Happy Independence Day!
The Four Day Summit Climb July 1 - 4 teams reached the summit of Mt. Rainier today led by RMI Guides Billy Nugent and Paul Edgren. The teams enjoyed clear weather, light breeze and nice temperatures while they were on top this morning. They began their descent from the crater rim shortly after 7 am. The teams will return to Camp Muir to repack and then continue their descent to Paradise.
The Expedition Skills Seminar - Kautz led by Seth Waterfall also reached the summit of Mt. Rainier today. After spending some time on top they began their descent to high camp where they will spend a final night on the mountain.
Congratulations to today’s summit climb teams!
Way to go Terry!! So proud of you. See you next week in a warmer climate. Love you, Mom Mullin.
Posted by: brenda mullin on 7/5/2013 at 9:11 am
Congrats! Rainier is an amazing mountain and I’m glad you all enjoyed it! Congrats Keith!
Posted by: Melissa on 7/4/2013 at 10:29 pm
June 29, 2013
Posted by: Sean Collon
Thunder, lightning and white-out conditions kept the Four Day Summit Climb led by RMI Guide Paul Edgren from reaching the summit of Mt. Rainier today. The team was able to reach an elevation of 12,700’ before making a decision to turn around and head for better conditions lower on the mountain.
RMI Guide Eric Frank and the Five Day Summit Climb Team will spend the day at Camp Muir acclimatizing before making their summit attempt tonight.
Congratulations to everyone! Jesse, we’ve got the bubbly waiting!
Posted by: The Cude Girls on 6/30/2013 at 9:02 am
Good luck, Dad! I wish I was there with you like we’d planned. Pretty soon you’ll have more bragging rights over me. Love, Craig
Posted by: Craig Cude on 6/30/2013 at 12:43 am
After summiting Denali on the 1st of July, our team has not stopped working. We descended from high camp yesterday morning, and continued to Camp 3 at 11,000’ for dinner and some shut-eye. The former was in full effect in the form of bacon-chicken quesadillas, and the latter was in short-order, as we woke up at midnight to start our descent to Basecamp. After taking advantage of the early morning frozen snow conditions on the lower Kahiltna glacier, we arrived at Basecamp at 8:30 am. Now it’s just a matter of waiting for better weather to allow planes to fly and take us back to Talkeetna. We are all napping in our tents while we anticipate sunny skies.
RMI Guide Mike Walter and Team
On The Map
Did you learn any mountain climbing in the military?
Posted by: Mike on 9/13/2012 at 8:45 am
CONGRATULATIONS TO ALL! NICE JOB. YOU MUST HAVE HAD AMAZING VIEWS.. SHOUT OUT TO DR. RIESTER!.. RON AND BETTY JANE WOLK
Posted by: BETTY JANE WOLK on 7/5/2012 at 9:38 am
Hi, this is Mike Walter checking in from 14,000’. We have descended the West Buttress and are back at the 14,000’ camp. Everyone is doing swell. Our plan is to continue the descent to 11,000’ and hunker down for a few hours. There we’ll ‘brew up’ hot drinks, grab something to eat and nap for a few hours. We’ll traverse the lower Kahiltna Glacier in the wee hours (when it’s coldest) headed for Base Camp. We hope to arrive at BC tomorrow morning, unless the Weather Gods have other plans in store. That’s all for now from our tired and happy crew.
On The Map
Posted by: Tony on 7/3/2012 at 8:21 am
Congratulations Longbonez and the team! We are all proud of you and can’t wait to hear about your trip. Be safe on the way down and we will see you soon!
Posted by: Xbonez on 7/3/2012 at 7:57 am
This is Mike checking in from high camp on Denali. The weather is playing games with us today, but the forecast remains excellent. We had contemplated a summit bid upon awakening, but a lenticular cloud cap kept alternately forming then dissipating throughout the morning, and we decided to hold off. It has been quite windy in camp, but high pressure is forecast to dominate the next several days. Our well rested team hopes to go for it tomorrow. All is well and we will be back in touch with an update tomorrow.
Wish us luck!
We’re awaiting the good news that you and the team have reached the summit. Hoping for sunny skies and a safe and successful climb to the top and back down.
Lynda and Rick
Posted by: Lynda and Rick on 7/1/2012 at 8:15 pm
David, we are pulling for down here in rainy portland. be safe and have fun. Sue D
Posted by: sue dimin on 6/30/2012 at 8:04 pm
Mike Walter called and checked in on Friday night at about 9:50 p.m. There were some clouds and winds on the upper mountain so the team decided to take a rest day at 17,000’ camp. They have had nice weather at camp and a good rest. Mike reported an awesome forecast for today with sunny skies and light winds, so they plan to make their summit attempt. The team is excited and ready to go.
Good Luck Team!
On The Map
DZ and Team hope weather holds and you have an excellent summit, be safe. Remember Raindeer Sausage the Road House and Summit Burgers/Beers at the West Rib when back down in Talkeetna.
Posted by: John on 6/30/2012 at 12:49 pm
Glad to read the weather is co-operating for a summit
attempt. I’ve been keeping everyone updated here at MMC. Dr.P sends his best wishes to #1. Be safe.
Posted by: Nancy on 6/30/2012 at 10:35 am
Mike Walter called at 12:00 a.m. Friday morning and reported that he and the team had reached 17,000’ Camp on Mt. McKinley. They had a nice day of climbing with light snow and no wind. They rolled into camp at about 5:00 p.m., and are now resting. The team may take a rest day at 17,000 but if everyone is feeling good they might just go for the top.
Good Luck Team!
On The Map
May not sleep tonight, too excited!!!!
Posted by: sarah Zeps on 6/30/2012 at 1:39 am
Delighted you had the chance to move onward and upward, well done team! A promise of beer, the weather cleared…tricky, isn’t it??!
Continued success for all,
Posted by: liz weller on 6/29/2012 at 8:00 pm
We went to bed with clear skies and a forecast for 12-18” of snow overnight. The clear skies persisted overnight and we didn’t get any new snow. There is a lenticular cloud on top of Denali today, indicating strong winds. We’re also seeing snow blowing off of the West Buttress between the top of the fixed ropes and high camp. The current winds and the increased avalanche hazard from yesterday’s foot of snow are keeping us at 14k for another day. The sunny weather at camp today is welcome, and is helping to keep our spirits high. It looks like some better weather is approaching for the weekend, and we’re hoping we’ll be able to take a crack at the summit then. With any luck, we’ll be able to move to high camp tomorrow and be in position for the arrival of the more favorable weather. We’ll keep you posted!
On The Map
Stan - Hope you & Team have continued success today. Talked with your Mom yesterday. She is doing well.
Posted by: Jerry & Kay on 6/29/2012 at 7:11 am
Where at are you buttercup? Busch beer and mayonnaise sandwiches since you’ve been gone. My kids are starving!!
Posted by: Sunshine on 6/29/2012 at 5:06 am
Hello again from 14,200’. It’s snowing right now, and it snowed all last night. There’s only about 6” of accumulation so far, bur more is expected today and tomorrow. The good news is that there isn’t any wind here at 14k, and we’re all comfortable and cozy in our camp. We’re still in a holding pattern, waiting for decent weather to move up to high camp and be in position for a summit bid when the current weather pushes out.
In the mean time, we’re getting plenty of rest here at camp. Everyone is patiently awaiting better weather, although we’re all a little antsy for some exercise and a chance to move higher. We’ll keep you posted…
On The Map
Hi John, Talked with Dee - happy times - Paul and I are spending our time picturing all of us having dinner together!!! So glad to be able to feel in contact. Many Blessings to all of you - take care and God Bless. Jackie and Pal
Posted by: Jackie Winchell on 6/29/2012 at 8:38 am
Hope you don’t have too much snow removal to do from your camp and that the weather settles into perfect climbing weather very soon. The kids say HI to their Daddy, Lee!
Posted by: Di on 6/27/2012 at 11:09 am
Hi guys, this is Mike checking in from the 11k camp on Denali. All is well. We decided to spend another day here at 11,200’ instead of moving up to 14,200’ today. We are spending the day resting, eating, and getting more acclimated to the altitude before venturing higher. We are hoping to move up to 14k tomorrow, weather pending. Until then, we’re enjoying the sunny, hot weather and just lazing around. Hopefully our next dispatch will be from higher ground.
RMI Guide Mike Walter
On The Map
We are hanging on news of your great adventure. Your aunt is loading the Blog at the Renoir so that you will have a vastly expanded fan club amongst the geriatric set. We hope to see you in some pictures sent back from your team with a large smile on your face. We are all thinking of you and wishing you all the best.
Love Dad, Mom, Brooklyn Spencer and Daisy.
Posted by: charles selby on 6/20/2012 at 8:30 pm
Is that a cumulonimbus w/anvil I see? Whoa! Stakes will be handy! Keep your eyes on the Summit! Oh, longest day of the year is today—extra daylight! See you tomorrow, love me
Posted by: Betsy on 6/20/2012 at 7:43 pm