Aconcagua: Justman & Team Rest Day at Basecamp

Posted by: JJ Justman, Mike King, Steve Gately | January 17, 2014
Categories: *Expedition Dispatches *Aconcagua

First and foremost…Todd wants to wish his beautiful wife Kelly Happy Birthday! The team spent their first night at Aconcagua Basecamp and everyone woke up this morning feeling great! On a rest day the key is to eat great food and drink lots of liquid to ensure proper acclimatization.

We had scrambled eggs with homemade potatoes. This afternoon we will be making homemade pizzas for the team. We even had Grajalas’ cook, Griselda, coming over asking for our recipes!

Later today we will set up the shower tent so we can get clean and smelling back to normal. Another camp activity for today is sorting group gear for our carry to Camp 1 at 16,500 feet.

Happy Birthday Kelly!!!

RMI Guide JJ Justman

Sunset at Aconcagua Base Camp. Photo: Garrett Stevens

Sign Up For Aconcagua 2014 Email Alerts

Comments

Congrats to you, Lew, and your teammates.  Heard you made the summit.  Nice accomplishment.  Be safe on way down.

Posted by: uncle jake on 1/28/2014 at 12:23 pm

Team - 2 bottles of Melbec and a note for you at the front desk of the Nutibarra. I flew over Aconcagua yesterday afternoon and everything was clouded over for miles. I hear your next two days of weather w/b good….so you should make it by tomorrow. Wish I was with you.

Posted by: Bissell on 1/27/2014 at 5:45 am

Lew,
Your story helps me to wait on the Lord till it’s my turn to return to the mountians.
-Dryfly

Posted by: Jason on 1/19/2014 at 7:11 pm

What an adventure of a lifetime Lew!!  Keep soaking up the journey for us!!  Can’t wait to hear all about it.  You’re always in my thoughts and prayers!!  GO LEW!!

Posted by: Brent on 1/18/2014 at 12:14 pm

Lew,

Man you are a beast!  I’m not sure I could climb 13 feet any more.  Keep it up.  Praying for strong legs and lungs and success in summiting.  Can’t wait to see photos and hear your stories.

I still can’t find my Denali pictures since I moved.

Posted by: Jim Davis on 1/18/2014 at 10:30 am

Lew,
If I am not mistaken, today at Base camp 1 will be the highest you have ever been since college (Ok, bad joke!!).  Hang tough my brother and climb strong.  Everyone is asking about you.  Watching every step you take!
But remember, getting to the top is optional, getting down is mandatory!
Kenny

Posted by: Kenny Klimes on 1/18/2014 at 8:17 am

Lew - It is great to hear that you are following your passion for climbing.  You are in my prayers.  I hope that you have the time of your life.

-Tim

Posted by: Tim on 1/18/2014 at 6:50 am

Read the blog everyday Randy.  Didn’t know how to leave a comment for the team but, so glad everything is going well.  Take care of all the old guys team captains. Love yu Randy Mom

Posted by: Darlene Christofferson on 1/18/2014 at 5:14 am

I’m so proud of you honey!  Every day I look forward to the blogs and seeing what y’all are accomplishing.  There are many watching your progress here at home!

Posted by: Kim on 1/17/2014 at 8:59 pm

Way to go dad! I always check your blog during the day to see if mom has heard any updates from you! You are so amazing and I’m so proud of you!! Keep rocking it and we all are cheering for you!

Rylie and I miss you!

Love you so much!
-Jen

Posted by: Jen Christofferson on 1/17/2014 at 6:43 pm

Showers?  I didn’t get showers. You guys must be on the RMI Delux Treatment Expedition.

-Larry Seaton

Posted by: Larry Seaton on 1/17/2014 at 5:57 pm

Well the Christofferson camp has been slow to get on the comment bandwagon but we all miss you Randy and are excited you are heading into the high mountains tomorrow!  Good luck to you and the whole team; it sounds like you have a great team!  And whoever Lew Smith is, you sure do have a lot of supporters!  Love you Randy and Roxy misses you too!

Posted by: Judy on 1/17/2014 at 5:45 pm