Entries By emma lyddan
June 10, 2023
The Four Day Climb led by RMI Guides Brent Okita and Emma Lyddan reached to summit of Mt. Rainier early this morning. The team had low visibility, and light snowfall and only spent a short amount of time on the summit before starting their descent.They will be back at Rainier Basecamp in the early afternoon to celebrate their success.
Sign Up For Denali Expedition May 9, 2023 Emails
June 4, 2023
Sunday, June 4, 2023 - 11:33 am PT
Well, Denali didn't disappoint, nor did it ever relent, but we've wrapped up a safe and successful expedition. Stormy weather bookended our trip, delaying flights both onto and off of the glacier. Not to be outdone, we endured snowy and windy weather throughout the trip, taking advantage of the sunny days in between to climb and get into position for a calm and warm (albeit cloudy with no views) summit day.
Our team was elated to see K2 Aviation's de Havilland Otters approaching Basecamp to pick us up. As excited as we were to get to town, there's always a little sadness watching the beauty of the Alaska Range, our home for the past twenty-three days, disappear underneath the wings of the ski plane.
Thanks for following our adventure. Now we're off to climb in the Cascades!
RMI Guide Mike Walter and team
Just want to say a big THANK YOU to everyone there. Rich is back in Thailand, just got done reading his journal. FaceTimed with him earlier, he had a lot to say about Mike being a beast lol. Thanks Mike for taking care of my son. A very proud mom down here, so glad he got to the summit. Bad weather seems to prevent him from summiting, so this was awesome.
Enjoy the Cascades.
Posted by: Kim on 6/4/2023 at 4:14 pm
June 2, 2023
June 1, 2023, 5:13 pm PDT
After a successful summit day we descended from high camp to 14k Camp for the night. After a hearty burrito breakfast we descended to base camp, a 10-hour trek. We had excellent weather and perfect snow conditions for our lengthy descent. Unfortunately, snow returned in the morning and we were unable to fly off the glacier. K2 Aviation has pilots and planes on standby to come pick us up when the weather breaks. Who knows when that will be, but until then our climbers are dreaming of hot showers, cold beers, real food, and flush toilets. Nothing is easy about climbing Denali, and this final hurdle is testing our climbers'mettle. Hopefully we'll see the skies soon and the dreams will come to fruition. Fingers crossed.
RMI Guide Mike Walter and team
Excellent everyone! Hang in there!!
Posted by: Jamie on 6/3/2023 at 11:51 am
I’m so proud of you Scott! I can’t wait to hear all about it!
Posted by: Debbie Eldridge on 6/3/2023 at 4:13 am
May 30, 2023
The RMI May 7th Denali Expedition led by RMI Guide Mike Walter, reached the summit of Denali Monday May 29th. The team has safely returned to their 17,000' and will continue their descent to the airstrip over the next few days.
Congratulations to all the climbers!
Mike Walter: How many consecutive summits is this for you on Denali?! Congratulations!
Posted by: Lee Hoedl on 6/22/2023 at 10:08 am
Perfect timing—To summit on May 29th; (Happy Birthday Jason!)
Posted by: Greg Hess on 6/1/2023 at 11:29 am
May 28, 2023
May 28, 2023 12:01 PM PT
We hoped for a repeat of yesterday's weather, but instead we got light snow and wind. Definitely not a summit day.
So we're resting inside our tents inside a ping pong ball. Spirits are high despite today's weather wrinkle. Hopefully tomorrow we'll be able to climb.
We stocked our camp with plenty of food and fuel, so we're able to wait it out a few days. Until next time, we'll be counting the ripstop nylon squares in our tents, dreaming of a sunny and calm day for climbing.
Well done! Very impressive! Safe journey back to Talkeetna- where the beer is cold and the pizza is hot!!! Yeah! You did it!!! Susan
Posted by: Susan on 5/30/2023 at 10:38 pm
Congratulations! What an accomplishment :-) safe travels on the way down. You should be very proud of yourselves.
Posted by: Elysia Morrison on 5/30/2023 at 9:42 am
May 28, 2023
May 27, 2023 8:44PM PT
The weather was spectacular today: sunny with very light wind. We took advantage and moved to high camp at 17,200'. Six hours of climbing and another few of building camp and we're all situated. After hydration, lots of calories and some rest, we're hoping to try for the top tomorrow, weather permitting. Fingers crossed!
Hope that weather window is wide open and today’s the day! Go Team Go! Brett, Enjoy the view and bask in your achievements! Can’t wait for you to share your adventures with us.
PS Game 6 of WCF is Monday VGK leads 3-2.
Posted by: Dianne on 5/28/2023 at 11:30 am
YES!!! Let’s go, no storms and make it to the Summitt!! Great job by everyone.
Posted by: Kim on 5/28/2023 at 8:05 am
May 26, 2023
Friday 5/26/2023 3:15 PM PT
Clouds and light snow are making a perfect atmosphere for a lazy rest day here at 14k.
Strong winds high on the mountain are occasionally visible through breaks in the clouds. The warmth of our tents is conducive to lazing, reading, listening to music, and occasionally drifting off into a dreamy state of consciousness.
Meanwhile, we're hoping that favorable weather allows us an opportunity to climb higher and push for the summit soon.
Until then, we're embracing the tranquility of the mountains.
Go Team! Make it happen! It’s going to be epic!!! You got this!!!! Perseverance and Patience….goal in sight! Hoping for some solid blue sky and perfect climate!!! Cheers from Talkeetna!!! Susan
Posted by: Susan on 5/27/2023 at 9:39 am
May 24, 2023
Tuesday, May 23, 2023 - 8:23 pm PT
We had a wonderfully serene rest day today. It started with a prolonged breakfast scramble brunch, transitioned to hours of lounging, and culminated in a few hours of practicing fixed rope travel and running belays. Now we're fixin' for a burrito dinner. Tomorrow we hope to establish a cache up high so we're ready to make a summit bid if and when we get a good weather window, which could come in as little as a few days. The forecast is promising, but we won't hold our breath at this altitude.
We're taking it day by day.
Rich, Happy Birthday! I hope you can get my wish on this way! Good luck for all of you! Dia
Posted by: Dia on 5/25/2023 at 12:09 pm
May 23, 2023
Monday, May 22, 2023 - 7:55 pm PT
The weather was gorgeous today. We retrieved our cache from Windy Corner, so we're all set here at 14,000'. The rest of the afternoon was spent resting and socializing in the sun. Meanwhile, the guides excavated a palacial cook/dining tent for the team. Our plan is to review fixed rope travel and rest tomorrow, taking advantage of another day/night to acclimate to the altitude, and then establish a cache up high on Wednesday. A little weather might move in Thurday, but we're optimistic for a good window for a summit push this weekend.
RMI Guide Mike Walter
Sending bro’ support from Tucson to Emmo from Pete and Lisa. Remember your increasingly dilapidated 60 something bud’s are living vicariously through you. Makes us proud just to know you are up there.
Posted by: Pete Eckerstrom on 5/23/2023 at 10:05 pm
May 22, 2023
Monday, May 22, 2023, 9:33am PDT
Burdened with heavy packs, we climbed the 3000' to Genet Basin, our new home. Climbing conditions were excellent; weather ranged from warm and sunny to cold and breezy to snowy pea soup. Five hours after leaving our 11k Camp we arrived at 14k Camp, then had another few hours of building camp, melting snow, and making dinner. This morning is beautiful and we will go back to Windy Corner to pick up our cache. Lots of resting and eating will ensue.
RMI Guide Mike Walter and Team
Could someone just let us know which expedition Scott Crist is on (don’t need any other details) but we would like to follow the blog for that particular trip he is on. He asked me to follow it before he left and after the 2-3 day delay when they could not get on the mountain.
Thanks, Doug Mitchell
Posted by: DOUG MITCHELL on 5/22/2023 at 2:34 pm
Making great progress now !
Posted by: Kim H on 5/22/2023 at 1:58 pm