×

Log In

Or

Register With Us

    *required fields
    • Keep up to date with information about our latest climbs by joining our mailing list. Sign up and we'll keep you informed about new adventures, special offers, competitions, and news.

×
×

Check Availability

Entries By mike walter


Denali Expedition: Walter & Team Enjoying Sunshine at 14,000’ Camp

May 30, 2017
Greetings RMI Denali followers, this is Robby Young with the May 3rd Denali Expedition calling you from Day 26.  We are sitting in the sunshine here at 14,000’ Camp.  We awoke this morning to some cloudy skies, some high winds and snow which delayed our progress uphill just one more day.  It looks like the weather is going to be beautiful tomorrow and the next few days giving us our opportunity to finally climb higher on the mountain. We are looking forward to a move to 17,000’ Camp tomorrow morning if the weather does in fact allow.  Until then, we will talk to you soon.
Caio,

RMI Guide Robby Young


RMI Guide Robby Young calls from 14,000 ft on Denali.

On The Map

Leave a Comment For the Team (2)

The bet was that the Eagles Greatest Hits sold more than 29 million, which it did…I agreed that Thriller sold more.

:0

Also, amazing that you guys summited! Nicely done dudes.

- Mark

Posted by: Mark on 6/7/2017 at 11:54 am

Pretty sure it still isn’t close to Thriller at #1 all time. You can mail me the $50 or send it PayPal. Glad you guaranteed the Eagles was the highest selling all time.

Posted by: Todd on 6/5/2017 at 1:21 pm


Denali Expedition: Walter & Team Hope For Break in Weather

May 29, 2017

Greetings all - this is Robbie Young and Mike Walter with the RMI Denali Team. Today was another day of waiting out some weather here at 14,000’ Camp. We had snow and some winds this morning and it’s just now starting to improve this afternoon. We’re on Day 25 and we are looking forward to hopefully a break in this weather over the next few days to give us an opportunity to summit or at least make an attempt if the weather holds out. If not, we’re probably looking at coming down at the same time in the next few days here. Looking forward to our opportunity and look forward to checking in again tomorrow, hopefully in 17000’ Camp.

Thanks. Ciao.

RMI Guide Robbie Young


RMI Guide Robby Young checks in from 14,000ft Camp on Denali.

On The Map

Leave a Comment For the Team (2)

Hi Mark - I have been following your expedition on the blog, and thinking of you and the others up on the mountain.  Those are remarkable photographs and incredible descriptions of the severe weather conditions.  You and the team are pretty damn impressive.  I sure hope the weather finally cooperates, but whatever happens you have accomplished something mighty.  I will look forward to seeing you upon your return.      —Geordie Vining (from Crossfit)

Posted by: Geordie Vining on 5/31/2017 at 5:28 am

Hey Mark, Kev sends me to the blog about every other day to check on your summit progress…for some reason he can manage an RX Murph (we missed you!) but can’t navigate the blog ;) Hoping the weather cooperates for y’all. Catch you on the flip side, H + K

Posted by: heidi + kevin murphy on 5/30/2017 at 8:20 pm


Denali Expedition: Walter & Team Wait out the Storm

May 28, 2017

Today is very stormy on Denali. Poor visibility, gusty winds and cold temps keep us in our tents today. This morning we had a great joint breakfast with the RMI #2 team’s guides and climbers. Other than that, not much new to report. Camp is quiet as no one is venturing out in this weather.
There hasn’t been a summit in nearly two weeks, and only a few teams have ventured up to high camp (17,200’, where we cached 12 days ago), and most of those that have returned with frostbite. It has been cold and windy for a while now. It has to change, right? It’s coming down to the wire for our team as our food supply dwindles. We still have hope though…

RMI Guide Mike Walter

On The Map

Leave a Comment For the Team (1)

Hang in there Rue and team!!! I’m doing the good weather dance for you guys here in San Franciso for you.

Cheers,
Cindee

Posted by: Cindee on 5/29/2017 at 4:14 pm


Denali Expedition: Walter & Team Continue to Wait for Better Weather

May 27th, 2017

We woke to another day of bitterly cold temps and strong winds above. The weather forecast looks promising for the next few days, so we are optimistic that we will finally get our shot. We’re hanging in there and trying to be patient with this long wait. Hopefully it will pay off.

RMI Guide Mike Walter

On The Map

Leave a Comment For the Team (1)

Happy Birthday, David! Lots of folks at lower, warmer elevations wishing you well today. Hope the weather gods give you a present of a break in the storms so that you can ascend that peak! Thinking of all of you…Nancy

Posted by: Nancy Hines on 5/28/2017 at 9:05 am


Denali Expedition: Walter & Team Still Patient at 14,000’ Camp

May 26, 2017

When I awoke at the frigid hour of 5 am (temp -23F), I was greeted by a beautiful blue sky above Denali’s summit. I layered up, got out of the tent, and fired up the stoves. By the time the stoves came to life, winds picked up and a cap had formed on the summit. It quickly grew in intensity and size, reaching all the way down to ~16,000’. We had hot drinks and breakfast and them retreated to the tents to stay warm as we monitored the situation. The weather continued to deteriorate and now we find ourselves once again at 14,000’ Camp waiting for our shot. The forecast still looks favorable, and we have a few more days left to make it happen. We’ll stay in touch…

RMI Guide Mike Walter

On The Map

Leave a Comment For the Team

Denali Expedition: Walter & Team Weather Window In Sight?

Last night’s winds abated in camp, but up high that was not the case. A large, menacing lenticular cloud covered the upper portion of the mountain and wind could be seen blowing plumes of snow off of the West Buttress. But, the storm seems to be on its way out. We are hoping to move to high camp tomorrow or the next day and have a go at the summit. We’ll see what the weather has in store, but at least it is improving.
From Robbie:
Happy birthday Vanessa!

RMI Guide Mike Walter

Leave a Comment For the Team (1)

<3 thank you!!

Posted by: Vanessa on 5/26/2017 at 3:58 pm


Denali Expedition: Walter & Team Wait Out the Storm

We’re hunkered down in camp today as a strong storm is producing snow and wind over Denali. We can hear the winds howling a few thousand feet above us, sounding like waves crashing on a rocky shore. Here at camp it is windy but not nearly that extreme. Winds here are gusting in 20 mph range, which is not too bad at all. We have big walls built to protect our camp, so our tents are just barely shaking. We expect this storm to persist through tomorrow and hopefully we’ll have better weather in its wake with which to make a summit push.

Our fingers are crossed!

RMI Guide Mike Walter & Team

Leave a Comment For the Team (2)

Like the warmth of the sun
And the light of the day,
May the luck of the Irish
Shine bright on your way

Best wishes for Saturday’s push to the summit, Love Mom

Posted by: Cynthia Chitwood on 5/25/2017 at 7:34 pm

Well, the water heater has been replaced, the leaking toilet has been repaired, the weather has cooled off so no need for air conditioners or screens, the lawn is freshly mowed, and the sun is shining for the first time in days. Hope that portends good weather on Denali as well. Thinking of all of you hunkering down in your tents. Hope everyone has good reading material!
Nancy

Posted by: Nancy Hines on 5/25/2017 at 5:23 pm


Denali Expedition: Walter & Team Fortify Camp at 14,000’

Tuesday May 23, 2017 3:32pm

We got a little snow overnight, and it’s relatively pleasant outside today. The summit is still wearing a lenticular cap today and major storm with snow and extreme wind is forecast to hit us tomorrow. We’ve fortified camp and we’re ready for what it brings. Our hope is that in its wake we will have a shot at the summit.

We’ll let you know how it plays out.

RMI Guide Mike Walter & Team

Leave a Comment For the Team (2)

Mike and Gang:  I remember hunkering down for a week at that very same location just five years ago - stay patient and optimistic.  Mike, I wish I were climbing with you again.  However, I leave in two months with Pete to take on Elbrus.  Stay in touch and keep your team focused and motivated!  Prayers and positive vibes your way, team - you’ve got this!

Peace, Lee Hoedl, Fellow RMI Climber (Denali, Aconcagua, Cotopaxi, etc…)

Posted by: Lee Hoedl on 5/24/2017 at 3:03 pm

Following you, Mike. Glad you are all hunkered down - hoping you get your weather break soon. Sure is beautiful there!!

Posted by: Ann Douglass on 5/24/2017 at 5:07 am


Denali Expedition: Walter & Team Remain at 14,000’ Camp

May 22, 2017

We’re just checking in from 14,000’ Camp again. We’re all doing well here, hopefully waiting for a decent weather window in order to try to go for the top. We had some snow last night and today, and winds were strong up above us. It looks like a very strong storm is set to move in here in a couple days, bringing a lot of snow and extreme winds. We’re hoping for better weather in its wake.
In preparation of the next storm we spent more time today reinforcing our walls. We should be all set to weather the storm.
We’ll keep you posted.

RMI Guide Mike Walter

On The Map

Leave a Comment For the Team

Denali Expedition: Walter & Team Reinforce Camp at 14k

May 21, 2017

We had another chilly day at 14 Camp as the the sun never poked out from the overcast sky. We spent a several of hours reinforcing the snow walls surround our tents in anticipation of a significant upcoming storm. We’re planning to hunker down, weather the storm, and hope to have decent weather for a summit push on the flip side. Time will tell…

As we were reinforcing our camp, we were joined by the RMI Denali team led by Pete Van Deventer as they moved into 14 Camp. They’re busy building camp and adjusting to the thin air up here as I write this.

We’ll keep you in the loop with how the weather treats us.

RMI Guide Mike Walter

...Happy anniversary Kelly!

On The Map

Leave a Comment For the Team (2)

Rooting for good weather after this storm…hopefully you all aren’t running our of movie quotes and limericks! Or sriracha…

Hang in there though, as the Dude would say “Strikes and gutters, ups and downs.”

Thom and Todd…hurry back so you all can catch the Preds win the Stanley Cup!

 

 

Posted by: Rob on 5/22/2017 at 8:35 am

Mike, David, Todd and Thom, You guys will make it this time. Best wishes! Lei

Posted by: Lei on 5/22/2017 at 6:02 am

Previous Page   Next Page
Filter By:

Sign up for Expedition Dispatches

check the Summit Registry try our Adventure Finder
Back to Top

Sign up for our Newsletter

    *required fields
    • Keep up to date with information about our latest climbs by joining our mailing list. Sign up and we'll keep you informed about new adventures, special offers, competitions, and news.
      privacy policy

Thank you for subscribing to the RMI Expeditions Newsletter!

While you're at it, you can sign up some of our other mailings as well:

Please choose the programs you'd like updates on:

\