Mt. Everest Expedition: Route & Forecast are Looking Better

Posted by: Dave Hahn | May 08, 2012
Categories: *Expedition Dispatches *Everest
Elevation: 17,575'

Hello, this is Dave Hahn calling from Everest Base Camp. We’re resting and hiking and we’re watching the progress of the weather conditions. It has been snowing a little bit every day and it seems, from what we have been told, that conditions have gotten a little bit better on the upper mountain. There was significant progress yesterday. A team of climbers, sherpas made it to the South Col. The route is fixed all the way to 8,000 meters now.  Our sherpa team is going up tomorrow morning up to Camp 2 to check out conditions and see whether it makes sense for them to get on the wall to establish our Camp 3 and Camp 4. There is supposed to be, the next few days, supposed to be calm with continued light snow each day and we are seeing that is a good thing. Then the winds are supposed to come back, the jet stream is supposed to move into the mountains, but briefly, and then we are hoping for a break in conditions after the middle of the month. So it is going to be a little bit of a down time for the climbing team and we are keeping ourselves busy, like I say, with hiking and eating and resting and games. So far so good. Things seemed to have calmed down on Mt. Everest. Bye for now.

RMI Guide Dave Hahn

45-Minute Night Exposure of Base Camp An RMI Team Hikes During Down Time at Base Camp

Dave Hahn from Everest Base Camp

On The Map

Sign Up For Everest 2012 Email Alerts



Hello Dave and Melissa: I just got on your blog a week or so ago and have enjoyed your posts! Wishing the best in climbing for you and certainly hope the conditions start to improve so you can get to your goal: a summitt attempt! Things are good in Seattle and I hope to get on Mt. Rainier a couple times this summer. Then the best part: the Mountain Festival! Hope you’ll both be in attendance again since it’s so good to visit and hear your climbing experiences. My radio station is supposed to be getting in touch with RMI to set things up for another weekend of coverage. Sending good climbing vibes your way, so good luck! Mike Brown

Posted by: Mike Brown on 5/9/2012 at 10:00 pm

Good climbing, David . 
hoped to meet your father and Lisa in Boston at the end of this month but Memorial w/e is not propitious for Ron to drive.  I read about your intrepid hike with Ron in Yosemite.  Remarkable, and so well written.
Regards and Berg Heil from Your distant relative


Posted by: Hugo Langshur on 5/9/2012 at 4:56 am

thanks for the update Dave. Hope you guys get better conditions going forward

Zachary Zaitzeff

Posted by: zachary zaitzeff on 5/8/2012 at 10:40 am

Leave a comment for the team

* required fields