Mt. McKinley: Walter & Team - The Winds Win Out

Posted by: Mike Walter, Solveig Waterfall, Ben Liken | May 20, 2013
Categories: *Expedition Dispatches *Mount McKinley
Elevation: 11,200'

We woke early this morning, had breakfast, and packed up camp, ready to move to 14,200’ before the sun had hit our tents. But the winds up high were too strong for my liking. We repitched our tents to seek shelter from the wind and waited for a few hours for the winds to abate. Unfortunately, the winds up high continued and a mean looking lenticular cloud had formed over Windy Corner, where we were headed. By noon we made the decision to stay in camp another day and avoid the risks of getting caught in a windstorm high in the mountains of Alaska.

So we wait another day. Such is expedition climbing. The weather forecast looks good for the next few days, and we’re confident that tomorrow will be the day to move camp. We’ll let you know how it goes.

RMI Guide Mike Walter

Looking up from 11K Camp, Mt. McKinley. Photo: RMI Collection

On The Map

Sign Up For Mount McKinley 2013 Email Alerts



Mike,  I went to the book store and asked the clerk where the self help section was. She said she could help me but that would defeat the purpose.  Then I tried to buy a camo jacket but I couldn’t find one.  I bought a vest .  If I didn’t have arms it would be a jacket.  Extra medium.  Be safe.  Excited to climb with you again.  John

Posted by: John on 5/20/2013 at 6:37 pm

Good call. Hunker down and get back to some sport eating. I’m on Otdoor Ed until Thursday night but I’ll try to shoot off a weather report before I go. Be safe. xoxo

Posted by: K2 on 5/20/2013 at 3:31 pm

Best of luck with the weather! Have a safe climb and descent! Thomas: komm gut wieder runter :-) !

Posted by: Michael on 5/20/2013 at 8:25 am

Leave a comment for the team

* required fields