Alaska Seminar: Mallory & Team Back at Mountain House

Posted by: Linden Mallory, Pete Van Deventer | May 06, 2014
Categories: *Expedition Dispatches *Mount McKinley

When the alarm clock went off last night we were already intermittently awake, listening to the winds blowing up the Ruth Gorge and pelting our tent with snow. Sure enough, when we poked our heads out of the tent it was hard to see more than a dozen yards through the snow in the beams of our headlamps. We knew that again today wasn’t a summit day so we crawled back into our sleeping bags for a few more hours of sleep.

When we woke up around 5:30 the conditions hadn’t improved much so we set about making breakfast and breaking camp at a leisurely pace, hoping that the clouds would lift a bit before we were done. Unfortunately, that never happened and with our packs and sleds fully loaded with our gear, we set off back up the Ruth Glacier into the fog, snow and wind. The return to Mountain House went smoothly, although the views were lacking a bit. We spent most of the time walking through the Gorge navigating by compass, GPS, and a bit of sheer reckoning. By the time we entered the Amphitheater and rounded the north side of Mt. Barille, the clouds began to lift enough for us to get a look around and we even caught glimpses of some sunshine as we made the final ascent to the landing strip at Mountain House.

Once at Mountain House we set up our camp and then took advantage of the clearing in the weather to go for a short ski tour above camp before the clouds settled back in. We are back in camp now and cooking up dinner. Tomorrow morning if the clouds lift we’ll get another short ski in above camp before we catch our ride in a ski plane back to Talkeetna. Keep your fingers crossed that the clouds lift enough for the plane to get in and get us!

RMI Guide Linden Mallory & Team

Sign Up For Mount McKinley 2014 Email Alerts



Yikes! Good luck, sounds cold.

Posted by: M. Homme on 5/6/2014 at 7:50 pm

Leave a comment for the team

* required fields