Mt. McKinley: Okita & Team’s Good Living at 14,200’

Posted by: Brent Okita, Leah Fisher, Nick Hunt | May 30, 2014

May 30, 2014 - 11:12 pm PT

The view from the vestibule this morning was not what I’d have called heartening. Clouds and snow dominated the picture, adding visual texture to the soft but incessant howl of the winds coming from the Buttress above. We could still see most of the landmarks around camp, but in the shadow of the early morning it didn’t look promising for our carry. So, after talking with Leah and Nick, I happily crawled back into my warm sack.

We later awoke at the more reasonable hour of 9:00 to get the stoves fired up and start our day. No one complained about not climbing. I think having a real rest day was welcome by all.

So what do we do on these days? First of all, we hang out in the Posh an extra hour or two, then we cut a few snow blocks to further reinforce the walls we built around our tents yesterday. It was impressive seeing the team rally and build some really good walls. I think everyone was feeling good and happy to be doing something. Twelve hours in a tent can do that to a person.
But a rest day is a rest day and some good tent time is a must. A group was playing an animated game of BS next door to us in the Posh. Others were catching up on things on the radio. Naps are never a bad thing, and in this tent a few games of cribbage were contested.  We even got in a bit of rope craft review and knot tying practice.

Such is life for the climber hanging out at 14,200’ waiting for Mother Nature to offer us a little friendlier weather to continue our climb up the flanks of one of her most beautiful mountain creations.
We’re all doing well and happily waiting this little set back out.

Cheers,
RMI Guides Brent, Leah and Nick

Post tent at Denali's 14,200' Camp with the fixed lines in the background. Photo: Lindsay Mann

Sign Up For Mount McKinley 2014 Email Alerts

Comments

Proud of you dad, hope you make it all the way to the top. Make it count. Get ready for some seriously hot and humid weather back in Jupiter.
Love you.
Ali

Posted by: Ali on 6/1/2014 at 9:25 am

Hope you are doing well.Love seeing the blogs and your progress. I Love& miss you.Girls are doing good.It’s been a good trip here so far. Who knew that the girls like to fish.Scottie has taken them fishing a lot.You calling me on my birthday made my day.I had so much more to say.Love you.Good night.

Posted by: Robin Wagner on 6/1/2014 at 1:28 am

Rick Popp…. I love and miss you….hopefully you will be at the top soon. Can’t wait to see you. Liv sends her love.
Carol Popp

Posted by: Carol on 5/31/2014 at 3:41 pm

Keep it up Dad!!! We love & Miss you!!Jordan says she can’t wait to see you.

Posted by: Sarah Jean &Jordan; Laurae on 5/31/2014 at 2:30 pm

Mr. Wagner,
Exp.  Grind it up!

Posted by: Bob on 5/31/2014 at 12:39 pm

Hi, Bruce, Brady and all the rest - We’re all good.  I love the picture of your camp - It looks comfy.  I hope the weather breaks soon and you can keep on moving - I know you guys are too antsy to sit for too long.  xxoo

Posted by: susan scanlon on 5/31/2014 at 8:19 am

Thinking about you Dan and I am checking your progress every day.
Maria

Posted by: maria faires on 5/31/2014 at 8:07 am

Daniel and Team,

Good to hear that you’re doing great! Seems like the weather is going to get better from now on which makes us so happy. Good timing after all. Thank you for posting these beautiful pictures and exciting updates. We are with you 24/7 on your fantastic journey.

Love you/ Vanessa, Sebastian, Rob & mom