Log In


Register With Us

    • *required fields

      The password must meet the following criteria:

      • At least 8 characters
      • At least 1 lowercase letter
      • At least 1 uppercase letter
      • At least 1 number
      • At least 1 symbol (allowed symbols: !?@#$%^&/*()[]{}><,.+-=;)
    • Keep up to date with information about our latest climbs by joining our mailing list. Sign up and we'll keep you informed about new adventures, special offers, competitions, and news.


Check Availability

RMI Logo

Entries By jm gorum

Denali Expedition: Gorum and Team Move Back to 14,000’

Thursday, June 6, 2019 11:56 PM PT We woke up this morning and looked uphill at the summit again. We watched as winds increased up high. We watched a few teams leave camp and turn around before Denali pass. We looked at our dwindling food. We looked at our rapidly filling poop cans. When we added it all up, we decided that it was time to leave high camp. Four nights at 17,000 feet can seem like an icy eternity, but the team actually managed it quite well. There was nothing in the forecast that made us want to stay any longer, so we left. We’re back at 14 camp now, which seems like a beach resort in comparison. Some folks have decided they have had their fill, and some want to sit it out for a few more days, potentially trying again. Tomorrow we will flesh out our options and make a plan. For now, we are excited for the best nights sleep we’ve had in a while. We’re excited to eat something other than freeze dried food. We’re excited to be able to wear fewer than three jackets to bed. RMI Guide JM Gorum & Team
Leave a Comment For the Team (2)

Wise choice given the conditions you described. For those who want to try again, I hope you make it. Stay warm, and step safe. What a beautiful photo!

Posted by: Susan Moore on 6/7/2019 at 9:24 pm

Whatever choice you make, you’ve accomplished so much Brittni (and everyone else!). Diligently checking the blog daily; sunny Colorado is rooting for you!

Posted by: Kate Holmes on 6/7/2019 at 7:13 pm

Denali Expedition: Gorum & Team Make an Attempt at the Summit

Wednesday, June 5, 2019 - 4:43 PM PT Well, if it’s not one thing it’s another. The wind finally died down for us, and we had a beautiful start to our summit attempt. As we neared Denali pass and the top of the Autobahn, thunder started rumbling in the distance. In a matter of minutes we were underneath the leading edge of a 30,000 foot anvil. We tucked tail and ran back to camp, threading through climbers intent on continuing uphill. We can deal with cold, snow, and wind, but the only cure I know for lightning is distance. All in all it was a good day, considering we are all still healthy and happy. We’re going to regroup this afternoon, consider the forecast, and come up with a plan for the next few days. RMI Guide JM Gorum

On The Map

Leave a Comment For the Team (2)

Sending you all our love from Idaho, Brit and team! Glad you are all in this together :)

Posted by: Kat on 6/7/2019 at 8:23 am

Good luck Kirk, I hope the weather holds out for you.

Posted by: Tony and Carrie on 6/6/2019 at 8:44 pm

Denali Expedition: Gorum & Team Keep Waiting The Winds Out

Tuesday, June 4, 2019 - 6:16 PM PT Last night was probably the least comfortable night of the trip. We had strong gusts throughout the night that rattled our tents, and kept us all far from sleep. We spent the morning hiding from the cold and sipping on hot drinks. The winds were too high to make a summit attempt. Eventually things calmed down, and we ventured forth into the world. It has turned into quite a nice day up here, with winds near the summit diminishing as well. We’ve had some amazing views looking down at our previous camps and the Kahiltna glacier winding out of sight. The forecast looks promising for tomorrow. Once again, we’ll wake up in the morning and see what the mountain gives us. RMI Guide JM Gorum

On The Map

Leave a Comment For the Team (2)

Holding you all in warm hug, especially Mogens! I know this mountain has already gifted you all, looking forward to the stories!

Posted by: Sally on 6/6/2019 at 9:08 am

We’re all in for your humble conquest of goals.  Onward and upward, to the summit… Great care!! Scott

Posted by: scott otoole on 6/5/2019 at 1:32 pm

Denali Expedition: Gorum & Team Wait For Calmer Winds

Monday, June 3, 2019 - 5:49 PM PT When we poked our heads out of the tent this morning, we hoped to see sunny, calm skies beckoning us to climb this mountain. It was definitely sunny, but winds up high were blowing snow into the stratosphere. As much as we hoped to climb today, it was an easy decision to stay put here at 17 Camp. We slept in, reinforced our camp with some big snow walls, told some jokes, and talked about the beach. Fortunately it hasn’t been too windy here in camp. We’ve been able to get out and stretch our legs from time to time, inspect other camps for architectural inspiration, and chat with the neighbors. We can see the tundra from up here, the only green in sight, 15,000 feet below us. We’ll do an early dinner again, and get organized in hopes of climbing tomorrow. At this point it all just depends on what the winds do. RMI Guide JM Gorum
Leave a Comment For the Team (2)

Good luck, Pops! You’ll be on top of the world in no time!

Posted by: Jillian Ludwig on 6/4/2019 at 12:33 pm

Praying for cooperative weather in coming days. You are strong!! Our new baby BOY is rooting for you too. Go team!!
- Sam, Brandon, and Logan

Posted by: Sam Wolff on 6/4/2019 at 5:52 am

Denali Expedition: Gorum & Team Move to 17,000’ Camp

Sunday, June 2, 2019 - 11:10 PM PT We moved up to 17 Camp today. In my opinion, this is the second hardest day of the trip, but everyone handled it with style and grace. We had a perfect day moving up the West Buttress, with light winds and spectacular views. We’re all straight chillin in our tents now, eating dinner and snacks. The sun hits this camp until past our bedtime, which keeps us warm for the first few hours of sleep. We’re hoping to try for the summit tomorrow if weather allows, so we’re turning in early. We’ll let you know how we’re doing tomorrow. RMI Guide JM Gorum

On The Map

Leave a Comment For the Team (1)

We are thinking and praying for you up in the great white north. All is fine below in the not so far north great white north. Trees finally have leaves, still no grass across the street and Jilli is sitting for her exam as I write. All the best to everyone! Much love and remember, it’s the journey!

Posted by: Beth Ludwig on 6/3/2019 at 9:50 am

Denali Expedition: Gorum & Team Take Rest Day At 14,000 ft Camp

Not much going on at 14,000' Camp today. We ate a late breakfast, and have been watching it snow all day. It’s pretty easy to take a rest day when the weather doesn’t permit much else. Folks have been alternating between reading, napping, and guessing what’s going on in the real world. At this point, with our cache up high, we’ve done all that we can do to prepare to summit this mountain. Now we just rest, recuperate, and wait for good weather. If the forecast holds, we might not have to wait very long, but we will see. We’ll check in again tomorrow. RMI Guide JM Gorum

On The Map

Leave a Comment For the Team (1)

Enjoy the rest while you’re able. Lol! I’m wondering if your carb loading, e.g., Snickers, pasta, etc :) Fingers crossed for good weather!

Posted by: Susan Moore on 6/1/2019 at 8:51 pm

Denali Expedition: Gorum & Team Take a Cache to 16,600’

Friday, May 31, 2019 7:58 PM PT Today we woke to relatively warm temperatures and light snow. As we looked up to the ridge of the West Buttress there didn’t appear to be any winds, although a bit of snow continued to fall. After a speedy breakfast we decided to make moves and head on up the mountain to cache gear somewhere above the fixed lines. Throughout the first few hours of the day we progressed apprehensively, wary of some menacing looking clouds that were lingering higher up on the mountain, but as we cruised up the fixed lines we were treated with warm temperatures and light winds. This enabled us to progress to 16,600 feet to dig a cache to store some gear to support ourselves for our summit bid. After a quick break we turned around and headed back down to 14 Camp where we are now relaxing and waiting to eat some dinner! Spirits are high and we are all looking forward to a rest day tomorrow. RMI Guide JT Schmitt
Leave a Comment For the Team (2)

The updates and beautiful pictures are greatly appreciated!  Such a strong, amazing team!  Sending love and prayers!  Little 18 month old today Cutest says “auntie, mountain.”

Posted by: Jennifer Adams on 6/1/2019 at 1:39 pm

My god, you’re on top of the world!

Posted by: Jane Baxter on 6/1/2019 at 6:08 am

Denali Expedition: Gorum and Team Back Carry & Rest

Friday, May 31, 2019 12:14 AM PT Today we went back downhill to gather all of our cached food and gear. We got it all without any noteworthy event. With the rest of the day, we sat around, ate our new snacks, and practiced some techniques for the fixed lines. We’re hoping to carry to the top of the fixed lines tomorrow if weather allows. The forecast is calling for some snow, but light winds. As long as winds stay calm we can probably get it done. We’ll see what we get and check in tomorrow. RMI Guide JM Gorum & Team
Leave a Comment For the Team (1)

You go, Dad! Hope the knot tying is going swimmingly. Love you!!

Posted by: Jillian Ludwig on 5/31/2019 at 3:11 pm

Denali Expedition: Gorum & Team Settle in to Camp at 14,200’

Wednesday, May 29, 2019 - 8:47 PM PT This morning seems like weeks ago. We’re currently settled into our new home at 14 thousand feet, and life is good. Weather cooperated for us all day long, and the team moved quite well. For some reason this camp always seems to have the best weather. A lot of storms that hit 11 and the lower Kahiltna don’t make it this high, and winds that ravage the summit elevations don’t quite make it this low. We’re currently sitting in the sun looking out at a sea of clouds that are certainly covering, and snowing on, our old home. One more reason that we’re happy to be up here. It’s always a hard day getting here, and we’re all ready for dinner and an early bedtime. Tomorrow we’ll walk 500 feet downhill to retrieve our cache, and we’ll spend the rest of the day chilling hard. Until then, the team sends their best to everyone back at home. RMI Guide JM Gorum

On The Map

Leave a Comment For the Team (2)

Hey JT I am here watching you, NeeNee

Posted by: carol smith on 5/31/2019 at 7:10 am

Sherlock Holmes and Dr. Watson decide to go on a camping trip. After dinner and a bottle of wine, they lay down for the night, and go to sleep.

Some hours later, Holmes awoke and nudged his faithful friend.

“Watson, look up at the sky and tell me what you see.”

Watson replied, “I see millions of stars.”

“What does that tell you?”

Watson pondered for a minute.

“Astronomically, it tells me that there are millions of galaxies and potentially billions of planets.”
“Astrologically, I observe that Saturn is in Leo.”
“Horologically, I deduce that the time is approximately a quarter past three.”
“Theologically, I can see that God is all powerful and that we are small and insignificant.”
“Meteorologically, I suspect that we will have a beautiful day tomorrow.”
“What does it tell you, Holmes?”

Holmes was silent for a minute, then spoke: “Watson, you idiot. Someone has stolen our tent!”

Posted by: skipper holmes on 5/30/2019 at 10:48 pm

Denali Expedition: Gorum & Team Make a Carry to 13,600’

Tuesday, May 28, 2019 - 6:29 PM PT We took advantage of calmer weather to carry a load up to 13,600 today. We got to the top of Squirrel Hill, and the clouds looked like they might spoil our day. As we approached Windy Corner the weather completely cleared up and left us with light winds and sunny skies. So that was nice. Everyone did really well today, and we’re hoping to move up to 14K tomorrow, weather permitting. We’re currently hanging out in our sun-warmed tents drying out our gear. We’ll do an early dinner, and head to bed soon. Gotta get that beauty rest. RMI Guide JM Gorum
Leave a Comment For the Team
Previous Page   Next Page
Filter By:

Sign up for Expedition Dispatches

check the Summit Registry try our Adventure Finder alerts for 2021 RAINIER DATES
Back to Top

Sign up for our Newsletter

    *required fields
    • Keep up to date with information about our latest climbs by joining our mailing list. Sign up and we'll keep you informed about new adventures, special offers, competitions, and news.
      privacy policy

Thank you for subscribing to the RMI Expeditions Newsletter!

While you're at it, you can sign up some of our other mailings as well:

Please choose the programs you'd like updates on: