Log In


Register With Us

    • *required fields

      The password must meet the following criteria:

      • At least 8 characters
      • At least 1 lowercase letter
      • At least 1 uppercase letter
      • At least 1 number
      • At least 1 symbol (allowed symbols: !?@#$%^&/*()[]{}><,.+-=;)
    • Keep up to date with information about our latest climbs by joining our mailing list. Sign up and we'll keep you informed about new adventures, special offers, competitions, and news.


Check Availability

RMI Logo

Entries By taylor bickford

Denali Expedition: Walter & Team Reach the Top of North America!

Friday, June 28, 2019 - 8:38 PM PT The wind last night was strong, but it tapered in the morning. And it was crystal clear. We left camp and tackled the Autobahn up to Denali Pass where we were finally greeted by sunlight. Then it was up past Zebra Rocks and into the Football Field. One last climb up Pig Hill and we were on the exposed, corniced summit ridge. Everyone from our team summited today. It was a beautiful and warm summit day with only a breath of wind. Ten hours round trip and we're back at camp getting ready to eat dinner. Tomorrow we'll bump down to 14K and play it by ear from there. RMI Guide Mike Walter

On The Map

Leave a Comment For the Team (2)

Congrats to Eric and the team on a job well done! Can’t wait for everyone to come down safely and warm up :)

Posted by: Savannah on 7/1/2019 at 10:59 am

Congratulations Eric and team!!! An amazing accomplishment!
With aloha,
The Schusters

Posted by: Annie on 6/30/2019 at 9:36 pm

Denali Expedition: Walter & Team Weather Day at High Camp

Thursday, June 27, 2019 - 10:22 AM PT We woke up and fired up the stoves early again today, hopeful for good climbing weather. But the clouds that were lingering above us at 4:30am have descended and engulfed the Denali, including our camp. We are currently back in our tents staying warm and dry. There is near zero visibility with light winds and precipitation and high humidity. Unless things turn around quickly, we'll chalk today up as another day to rest and acclimate. We're hoping for improving conditions the next couple of days. RMI Guide Mike Walter

On The Map

Leave a Comment For the Team (2)

What a suspense ! Hope you’re not getting too impatient ! :)

Posted by: BOINEAU Marie-Cécile on 6/27/2019 at 10:13 pm

Sooooo hoping yall can summit today!!!!  Best of luck!!!  Team Casey!!!!

Posted by: Mindy on 6/27/2019 at 10:05 pm

Denali Expedition: Walter & Team Decide to Wait and Watch the Weather

Wednesday, June 26, 2019 - 3:30 PM PT We had hopes of making a summit push today, but as we were gearing up early this morning winds began to increase and a lenticular cloud cap began forming on the summit. So we pumped the brakes to see what would materialize. As it turned out, the cloud cap continued to materialize. Eventually we pulled the plug on the waiting game. We'll use today a a rest day (although the weather is making it unable to climb, it is not too uncomfortable at camp). We're hoping for calmer winds tomorrow so we can give it a go. RMI Guide Mike Walter

On The Map

Leave a Comment For the Team (2)

Sending you all warm thoughts & good vibes!!! Stay smart and strong! And go CK go!!!!

Posted by: Dove on 6/27/2019 at 10:06 am

Trusts you instincts and analysis Mike. Best of luck with the timing and success of the last stretch.

Posted by: Pieter Swart on 6/26/2019 at 10:49 pm

Denali Expedition: Walter & Team Make it to High Camp

Tuesday, June 25, 2019 - 5:24 PM PT The early wake up call in the cold was well worth it as our team was able to move efficiently up the fixed ropes and along the ridge to Denali High Camp. We arrives by noon, which gave us ample time to build camp and get some rest. The weather is beautiful, and almost warm in the sun. If this weather persists through tomorrow we will give the summit a shot. We won't know until we wake up, but we're optimistic. RMI Guide Mike Walter

On The Map

Leave a Comment For the Team (2)

I’m so excited for you all! You’re getting really close to the summit. This is what you all trained for! Wishing you a continued safe climb.

Posted by: Amanda Day on 6/25/2019 at 7:32 pm

Way to go team! The summit is in sight!

Posted by: Arie Rowaan on 6/25/2019 at 6:55 pm

Denali Expedition: Walter & Team Rest Today, Prepare to Move to High Camp

Monday, June 24, 2019 - 1:19 PM PT We're taking a rest day today after a big day yesterday and in preparation of moving to High Camp on Denali for our summit bid. The weather is sunny today even though snow and clouds were forecasted. We're hoping to move to High Camp in the next day or two if we get a weather forecast that looks favorable for a summit attempt. In the meantime, we're resting and acclimating and getting stronger. RMI Guide Mike Walter

On The Map

Leave a Comment For the Team (2)

Aloha from Hawai’i! It may usually be a tropical paradise out here, but so far today it’s all heavy rain and thunderstorms (which are a real rarity). Loving all the pictures, and hope everyone is having a great time on the climb. Keep getting stronger, and can’t wait to hear more soon! Sending positive vibes to everyone on the team, especially our friend Eric. :)

Posted by: Savannah on 6/25/2019 at 11:58 am

  I’m following the blog everyday.  All of you stay safe.  The pictures are gorgeous.

Posted by: Owa on 6/24/2019 at 2:39 pm

Denali Expedition: Walter & Team Move Gear to High Camp

Sunday, June 23, 2019 - 6:53 PM PT We woke early again this morning and the weather did not disappoint. Clear skies with a beautiful early morning alpenglow on Foraker and Hunter greeted us as we fired the stoves. We woke the team at 5am and we were on the move by 7am. Our goal: to get a cache of food and fuel up high on the West Buttress Ridge, ideally to high camp at 17,200'. The sun was still behind the West Rib of Denali and we climbed the approach slopes and most of the fixed ropes in the shade. The sun found us at around 16,000' and was a welcome companion for the rest of the day as the team climbed the aesthetic ridge from 16,200' to 17,200'. We made it to high camp in good form and dug a hole in the snow in which to leave our cache. After an hour and a half breathing the rare air of 17,200', we descended back to camp, the climb took us almost 5 1/2 hours and we descended in 2 1/2 hours. We'll enjoy a good night's rest tonight and then take a rest day tomorrow. That should put us in perfect position to take advantage of the next good weather window for a summit bid. RMI Guide Mike Walter

On The Map

Leave a Comment For the Team (2)

Thank you for the updates, glad to see you’re alive. Can’t wait to hear all about your trip, stay safe. Love you

Posted by: Courtney Urban on 6/24/2019 at 8:29 am

Go CK! You are an inspiration! Stay strong and be safe! Sending you good vibes! Can’t wait to hear all about it, so make sure you come back in one piece!

Posted by: Dove on 6/24/2019 at 6:33 am

Denali Expedition: Walter & Team Take a Rest Day to Prepare for the Upper Mountain

Saturday, June 22, 2019 2:34 PM PT We're taking a planned rest day today to better acclimate and get strong for our forays on the upper mountain. The day began clear and we enjoyed a leisurely brunch as the sun warmed our cook tent. Now, in the afternoon, clouds have risen and there are a few snow flakes falling. Everyone has retreated to their tents for some rest, reading, and relaxation. We will review and practice the technical skills needed to ascend the fixed ropes, which run from ~15,200' - 16,000'. We plan to head up there tomorrow to take a cache of supplies up high before returning to our comfortable 14k Camp. We'll let you know how it goes. RMI Guide Mike Walter

On The Map

Leave a Comment For the Team (1)

Keep it up C-Bass.  The photos are keeping me cool since it’s 94 here in Florida

Posted by: Andrew Klock on 6/23/2019 at 11:41 am

Denali Expedition: Walter & Team Back Carry to Gather Their Cache

Friday, June 21, 2019 3:09 PM PT After a relatively warm first night at our new 14K Camp, we leisurely got our gear together and descended back to retrieve our cache at Windy Corner. We had beautiful weather and returned back to camp with all of our supplies by 12:30. We took advantage of the good weather and headed out to The Edge of the World, a point outside of the 14K Camp with dramatic views thousands of feet down to the Kahiltna Glacier. The rest of the afternoon we are resting and buffing out our camp for a comfortable stay here. RMI Guide Mike Walter

On The Map

Leave a Comment For the Team (2)

So proud of all of you! Keep up the great effort. Paul

Posted by: Paul Fields on 6/23/2019 at 12:04 am

Casey and team….very impressive. Keep safe!

Posted by: Paula on 6/22/2019 at 11:13 am

Denali Expedition: Walter & Team Carry Supplies to Windy Corner

Wednesday, June 19, 2019 - 4:56 PM PT We got an early start today, leaving camp at 8:15 am headed up loaded with food and fuel to cache around Windy Corner. The weather was beautifully clear and calm and the temps were perfect for climbing. By 11:15 we were at our cache sight at ~13,600'. After digging a deep cache hole to protect our food from hungry ravens, we started off back downhill at 12:25. By 1:15 we were back at camp with plenty of time to rest and relax. The plan is to hit the sack pretty early tonight with the intention of moving our camp up to 14,200', colloquially known as Camp 4. We'll check back to let you know how it goes. RMI Guide Mike Walter

On The Map

Leave a Comment For the Team (2)

Way to go Casey and team.  So proud of all of you.

Posted by: Brian and janet on 6/20/2019 at 6:17 pm

Wow Casey…  we find it very interesting how you move your sleep equipment and your cache supplies on different days and move from site to site,

Posted by: Cheri Kenney on 6/20/2019 at 2:20 pm

Denali Expedition: Walter & Team Rest Day at 11,200’

Tuesday, June 18, 2019 - 9:21 PM PT Our team enjoyed a rest day today, sleeping in and indulging in a cheesy breakfast scramble brunch. The day started out sunny and we were able to dry gear and charge electronics, but by the afternoon it was snowing lightly. Tomorrow we plan to carry a cache of food and fuel to ~13,600' around Windy Corner and then return to our current camp. That's the plan at least. Stay tuned. RMI Guide Mike Walter

On The Map

Leave a Comment For the Team (2)

On vacation and did the flight around Denali on this day and saw you guys as tiny dots below. So inspiring and breathtaking! Godspeed to you all and will be watching your progress now back in Texas!

Posted by: Rebecca on 6/20/2019 at 5:06 pm

Thank you for the daily updates.  It’s really neat to read about your progress…I feel part of the journey! :)  Hi to Casey.  Enjoy your experience!

Posted by: Amanda Day on 6/19/2019 at 6:50 am

Next Page
Filter By:

Sign up for Expedition Dispatches

check the Summit Registry try our Adventure Finder
Back to Top

Sign up for our Newsletter

    *required fields
    • Keep up to date with information about our latest climbs by joining our mailing list. Sign up and we'll keep you informed about new adventures, special offers, competitions, and news.
      privacy policy

Thank you for subscribing to the RMI Expeditions Newsletter!

While you're at it, you can sign up some of our other mailings as well:

Please choose the programs you'd like updates on: