Entries By jason thompson
July 17, 2012
Posted by: Mike Haugen
RMI Guide Mike Haugen led his team to the Mt. Rainier summit via the Disappointment Cleaver Route this morning with beautiful weather and a slight breeze. The team began their descent at 10:00 a.m.
RMI Guide Jason Thompson was leading his team on the Emmons Route on the northside of Mt. Rainier. Due to firm conditions and a cloud cap developing on the mountain, the team had to make the tough, but more importantly, safe decision to turn at 12,500’. They will stay at Camp Schurman tonight and descend the mountain tomorrow.
To Steve D. on Emmons-
I was following you on SPOT and saw a turnaround. Then I came here to the blog and read about the cloud cap developing. Bummer!
Posted by: Larry Seaton on 7/17/2012 at 3:45 pm
Good luck Mehok brothers!!
Posted by: Mike Mehok on 7/17/2012 at 12:23 pm
The Four Day Summit Climb led by RMI Guide Jason Thompson was forced to turn around this morning due to deteriorating weather conditions. The teams reached a height of 10,500’ before making the decision to turn back. The team is expected to arrive back at Ashford Base Camp by early afternoon for hot coffee and a slide show presentation about RMI’s Alaska Seminar. There is an open invitation for the slide show if you happen to be in town!
Both Four Day Summit Climb teams made it to the Summit of Mt. Rainier today. Lead guides Jason Thompson and Andres Marin reported beautiful weather with light winds of about 0 – 8mph and plenty of SUNSHNE. The teams were in light gloves and two clothing layers, as they climbed. They are now en route back to Camp Muir and we expect them back at RMI Basecamp in Ashford this afternoon.
Today is the first day of summer and the longest day of the year…get out and enjoy!
Hi Jon, Following your journey and as nervous as your mother. Have fun but most important be safe
Posted by: JoAnn Ingram on 6/21/2012 at 4:51 pm
Hi Jon! Yes ... it’s your Mama. I hope you are having an AMAZING journey. Please be safe and smart, as I know you will. I miss you so much and will breathe when you are back in Knoxville! Love you so much!
Posted by: Paige Conley-Smith on 6/21/2012 at 9:16 am
The Four Day Summit Climb teams led by Jason Thompson and Andres Marin made it to the Summit of Mt. Rainier today. The weather was clear with winds of 25-35 mph. The teams were able to spend some time on Columbia Crest enjoying the views, and are now en route to Camp Muir.
Always in good hands with Jason Thompson !!! He was my guide on the Alaska seminar in 2009 along with Tyler Jones and I had a really great time and felt safe with them !
Posted by: Anik Chagnon on 6/15/2012 at 12:03 pm
Our Four Day Summit Climb Teams led by Jason Thompson and Paul Edgren were able to climb up to Cathedral Gap early this morning, but they not reach the summit due to avalanche danger. Visibility at Camp Muir was good with winds of about 15 – 35mph. The teams have left Camp Muir and are en route back to Ashford Basecamp.
Thinking of you guys..stay strong..
Ain’t no Mountain high ENOUGH! LOVE and respect to you.
Posted by: terri beernink on 6/10/2012 at 5:55 am
I love you daddy!! Be safe!
Posted by: Jay Daniel on 6/9/2012 at 11:53 am
The weather is forecasted to change around here in the following days but today was one of the hottest days we’ve had. Lenticular clouds continue to be impressive. We spent today playing inside crevasses and went ice climbing. Everyone had a blast.
The glaciers are an enormous amount of ice up here in Alaska. Researchers currently on the glacier conducting some studies have found the depth of the Kahiltna Glacier to be about 500 meters deep. As we climbed on the walls of the crevasses peering down into the dark black hole beneath us, we felt small.
So long from the Kahiltna.
On The Map
The objective for the day was Kahiltna Dome. We woke up early and quickly prepared. An hour’s walk took us across the glacier to the first hill, and warm morning sun. Unfortunately several stretches into the climb we encountered challenging conditions and decided to head back to our camp at 9,500 ft. The team broke camp in an impressive hour and a half and then made the 9-mile trip back to basecamp. Throughout the walk back, we saw lenticular clouds forming hanging over peaks in the area. Despite the sunny weather, they let us know that keeping our Gore-tex in the top of our packs was a good idea.
On The Map
Hello all. We moved our camp up to about 9,600 ft. Temperatures were perfect for us during the walk. It just started to get hot as we pulled into camp. Everyone did great today. We built a fortress of a camp constructed with cohesive blocks of snow. We used them for walls around our camp to shield us from the wind.
Light snow began falling this afternoon but we are hoping to wake up to blue skies and stable weather for our climb on Kahiltna Dome tomorrow.
That’s all for now.
This morning we woke to clear skies and chilly temperatures. After warming our hands with breakfast and hot tea or coffee, we packed up camp and tied into our ropes to leave the basecamp area. The goal for the day was moving to 7,800’ camp on the main flow of the Kahiltna Glacier. We enjoyed pleasant temperatures and excellent conditions on the glacier, enabling us to make the trip in just under five hours. As one of the first teams to arrive for the day we were able to move into some pre-dug tent platforms. The peaks surrounding us are shining in the sun and shimmering blue ice is all around. Quite the view from our new home.
The weather forecast is great and we are looking forward to our next few days.
Well today we began our day a little earlier than usual. We elected to go for a little glacier tour this morning and with how hot its been during the day the cool temps felt nice. We went to the base of Annie’s Ridge and had a little glaciology talk from a rad location. On the walk back we saw a big ice fall release on Mt. Foraker which was lovely, they are always impressive no matter how many times you see them.
We chilled out this afternoon hiding from the afternoon sun. We regrouped for a crevasse rescue station. Everyone is sending and building mechanical advantage systems to haul climbers skyward. We are also organizing our gear for a move tomorrow up towards Kahiltna Dome which sits at 12,525’. If the weather plays nice, hopefully we will be back in 4 days.